• Great Catch in Lawrence, KS

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by Tadman

So I was coming back into town from Kansas City yesterday and noticed the gates going down on the UP tracks north of the river. I pulled over by the grain elevator (the really big one in most pics of UP and RI in Lawrence) and a loaded coal train comes through. Leading was 9551, followed by a bandit SP C44W and at the end was a bandit CNW C44W. How's that for a grab bag of motive power? Too bad my camera is broken and now missing as well.

by powerpro69

I'm all a jittery with excitement

by Tadman

I detect in the sarcasm that you may be a railroading pro. I at one time was a railroad subcontractor for building/repairing heavy lifting equipment. However, my time is mostly spent pushing pencils and going thru paperwork. I don't know if I'd describe my state as "tingling with excitement" when I saw above noted lashup. However, it's something worth noting as a rarity - no different than noticing a '58 Edsel in your neighborhood or a Holland&Holland over/under 12ga at your local pawn shop. Or a guy with Al Bundy as his pic. "Oh Allllllllllllllll"...

by PRRGuy

I saw the same train on CSX headed east on the CSX at Hammond, IN. I had my camera out but I was too many cars back to get a good shot.

Ryan