• UP - Req Info on Diesel Mechanic - Any info is Appreciated

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by jakkar2992

My husband has recently retired from the army and applied for an Apprentice Diesel Mechanic Positions. Less then a month he was invited to an interview and hiring session, which is May 20, in Houston Texas. I was told that most times they wait until the posting close, which is the June 30th to invite people to interview section. Lucky him, I guess. May it’s because he went to UTI for diesel mechanic before he join the military who knows.

He is so worried about the testing, which he aced the practice test on UP’s website. I told him to take his time and answer the questions that he knew and go back to the questions he skipped once he finished.

I have a few questions that I could not find online. I have searched and searched, but have not found anyone that have applied for this position on this website.

The questions are as followed:

1. UP state that he would take a 4 hour pencil and paper test. The people on this website have only mentioned the 20 question reading and comprehensive test that they give you 40 minutes to take, which does not add up to 4 hours.

Can someone verify if the test is just 20 questions of reading and comprehensive testing or does the test consist of 20 questions with a variety of graphic arithmetic, mechanical comprehension, forms checking, work experience and interest inventory, and video situations assessment?

If these are all additional test, I can then see why testing would take up to 4 hours.

2. On the application, it asked him if he agreed to the pay of 17.86. I have seen where people are mentioning getting paid a lesser amount during training, would this apply to this apprentice position that will last three years? The diesel mechanic position starts at 20.XX.

Will he get raises while in this position or will his pay stay the same while he is in this position?

3. What are the hours for Diesel Mechanics? Will he have off days or shall I expect him to work everyday and all types of the hours?

4. After the interview, how long does it usually take for you to find out if you got the job or not?

5. If he was hired, what location would he work at in Houston? Will the work yard be located in the rough part of Houston?

6. Any extra information is greatly appreciated. How is the work environment? Etc.

Thanks in advance for taking the time out to read this. I.

God Bless.
Last edited by jakkar2992 on Mon May 12, 2008 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by GOLDEN-ARM

jakkar2992 wrote:1. UP state that he would take a 4 hour pencil and paper test. The people on this website have only mentioned the 20 question reading and comprehensive test that they give you 40 minutes to take, which does not add up to 4 hours.

Can someone verify if the test is just 20 questions of reading and comprehensive testing or does the test consist of 20 questions with a variety of graphic arithmetic, mechanical comprehension, forms checking, work experience and interest inventory, and video situations assessment?

If these are all additional test, I can then see why testing would take up to 4 hours.

2. On the application, it asked him if he agreed to the pay of 17.86. I have seen where people are mentioning getting paid a lesser amount during training, would this apply to this apprentice position that will last three years? The diesel mechanic position starts at 20.XX.

Will he get raises while in this position or will his pay stay the same while he is in this position?

3. What are the hours for Diesel Mechanics? Will he have off days or shall I expect him to work everyday and all types of the hours?

4. After the interview, how long does it usually take for you to find out if you got the job or not?

5. If he was hired, what location would he work at in Houston? Will the work yard be located in the rough part of Houston?

6. Any extra information is greatly appreciated. How is the work environment? Etc.

Thanks in advance for taking the time out to read this. I.

God Bless.
1. I will let someone else answer this. the testing isn't as hard as they make it sound. If he passed it online, he should be fine

2. It's a union job, so the pay will be what the contract says it will be. There may be an entry rate, with tiered progressions to full rate.

3. Hours are any shifts that are available. If there's not a night-differential pay, then most likely, he'll be on nights, and weekends.

4. Depends on how many positions, and how many applicants. could be hours, could be weeks.

5. Most likely Settegast yard. Englewood also has a few positions. Both are located on I-10, on either side of the highway from each other. Both of these are "safe" areas to work in.

6. Lot's of great guys in both yards. Come in ready to learn, and not to try to climb up the ladder, by stepping on anyone elses back, and he should do fine.

All I can offer. I will move this into the employment forum, for added exposure.
  by jakkar2992

Golden-Arm much thanks for your time and information provided. I will make sure to pass this information on. My husband is surely not trying to climb up the ladder at this time and surely would not step on anyones tolds to do so. He has too much moral.

Once again thanks. :-D