Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by JayMan

Why did SLE alter the schedule of this train so there is no longer a connection to MN 1579? Yesterday I was riding SLE 1679 and I was rudely surprised to discover it now no longer stops at State Street, where there used to be an easy cross-platform transfer to MN 1579. The SLE train even gets into Union Station too late to connect to 1579 (the train even pulled in two tracks over, eliminating the chance of an easy cross platform transfer there). Now, you have to wait for MN 1581, which departs New Haven Union over 30 min later at 5:33 pm. It looks like the schedule was deliberately changed just to break the connection to 1579.

by kitn1mcc

No the connection is made about 95% of the time unless 1679 is late. Usally they will hold 1579 a Little while but not to long if 1679 is late .

i know i regularly get on 1679 at state then sit and wait while they flip in new haven to go back to OS on the next run

by JayMan

I used to use this connection all the time. When 1679 stopped at State St, I would transfer across the platform to the MN train. Why they would remove this transfer is beyond me.

by kitn1mcc

like i said in my first post if 1679 is really late and it will cause 1579 to be late and ol Vern there will not hold 1579 to long for the connection

by MNRR_RTC

kitn1mcc wrote:like i said in my first post if 1679 is really late and it will cause 1579 to be late and ol Vern there will not hold 1579 to long for the connection
I wonder, do you know all of us RTC's by name or only the New Haven guys? BTW, the decision to hold a train for a late connection is the Chief's and not the RTC's.

by DutchRailnut

Thats correct the chiefs are so powerfull they even deside what we can post on these boards, not even managment but more power than anyone right ?

by kitn1mcc

MNRR_RTC wrote:
kitn1mcc wrote:like i said in my first post if 1679 is really late and it will cause 1579 to be late and ol Vern there will not hold 1579 to long for the connection
I wonder, do you know all of us RTC's by name or only the New Haven guys? BTW, the decision to hold a train for a late connection is the Chief's and not the RTC's.

well i only on my way home and to work and on the way home i have more of a wait, and plenty of times new haven yard will be like vern let him in the front

by MNRR_RTC

Yeah, that makes sense. I only asked because I worked the 3rd trick alot on the New Haven and when I issued M-Forms, I always gave my full name. I am sure that there were people out there who probably knew my name when I worked.

by kitn1mcc

3rd trick i am in bed

by JayMan

Well that's not what you said in your first post but I get what you meant to say now. I never had a problem with SLE 1679 being late for the connection with 1579, though admittedly I haven't rode it that many times.

Now with the latest schedule the connection is essentially impossible, which to me, is a pain.