• Blast from the past: Guilford under Starrucca

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by MEC407

I was browsing RailPictures.net this evening and came across a gorgeous photo by Mr. Jim Kleeman, circa 1985:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=234161

Man... Guilford was a truly fascinating operation in those days. Three railroads, power from three different builders, and mainline trackage stretching from the Maine/Canada border all the way to the mid-Atlantic.
Last edited by MEC407 on Mon May 05, 2008 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

by cpf354

There was anything and everything then, it seemed. Also, they ran all the MBTA commuter rail service in Boston, from both North and South stations (as the B&M). Things changed after the strike in '86, of course.

by CN9634

Im not gonna lie It looks like Guilfords start was a very bright one. Combining the 3 railroads only made sense in that era of Mega-Mergers. If the line had been properly upgraded and secured Guilford could have created a very large Empire, perhaps a Class 1 (Look at KCS at the time and see how far they have gone).

by oibu

Yes, Guilford should have been a strong amalgamation. Buck Dumaine had long envisoned it (with the addition of the Bangor & Aroostook), but MEC's management never could be persuaded. Unfortunately, D&H financial issues, New England's economic woes, and labor strikes brought the system nearly to its knees in the late 80s. Fortunately, while not a full recovery, things have improved since those dark days. Still... what would we do to see a U33C beneath Starrucca in glorious foliage again!!

by deezlfan

I seem to remember a very similar photo on the front cover of one of the railfan magazines around that same time. Vaguely remember it as Alco C420 [D&H 401] freshly repainted and renumbered 420 positioned a little closer to the bridge. Even Guilford looked good in fresh paint but there just wasn't enough paint to go around.....

by MEC407

Railfan & Railroad, December 1990:

by deezlfan

Wow. Almost 18 years? Guess the Alco recollection was a bust.

by MEC407

deezlfan wrote:Wow. Almost 18 years? Guess the Alco recollection was a bust.
Either that or what you were remembering was a different issue or a different magazine. Either is possible!

by tom18287

is that line still in use?

by RussNelson

tom18287 wrote:is that line still in use?
Only by off-road vehicles. I was there about seven years ago and the rails were lifted then. I doubt very very much that they've been put back when nobody was looking.
Last edited by RussNelson on Mon May 05, 2008 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by RussNelson

MEC407 wrote:Railfan & Railroad, December 1990:
Good catch! Same engine, same location, same season, same time of the day -- you'd have to be insanely careful to suggest that this isn't the same train.

by MEC407

RussNelson wrote:
Only by off-road vehicles.
Are we talking about the line on the viaduct, or the line that runs beneath the viaduct?

by deezlfan

No. The rails are long gone. In fact, I think they were gone a few years before the magazine cover came out.

I did find a slide of 420 running long hood first at Lanesboro PA on Sept. 25 1985. Paint is relatively fresh at that point.

by Jonny Bolt

Ya, that is a great shot. But you'll hate me for this.....those Snubnose-type engines are yucky to me. I just can't get into 'em :(

by RussNelson

MEC407 wrote:
RussNelson wrote:
Only by off-road vehicles.
Are we talking about the line on the viaduct, or the line that runs beneath the viaduct?
It's a somewhat ambiguous question and answer, but it's the line beneath the viaduck. Why a duck, why-a no chicken? Well, I don't know why-a no chicken.