• NYA Website

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by nyandw

http://www.trainsarefun.com/NYA/nyacontents.htm

Recent post from Henry Wagner: Image

nice roster research! :-D

Need a bit of help on the freight designations:
NYA Freight Designations:
RS51
RS30, RS31
RS80, RS81

1. Any other freight designations?
2. Can I look this info up?
3. Schedule info on these trains?

Thanks to Joe Tischner for the above info. :-)

Thanks folks.
Best,
Steve

by Nova55

The GP10s were here for awhile.. 202 was painted in the Green and I think was scrapped some time back. 201 came form L&I to NYA, then back to L&I..back to NYA where the traction motor birdnested, they plopped it on the Pilgrim lead for a few months before towing it to Gershow in early 05'? Still sits there today on its fuel tank. Trucks went to NYA for rebuild..

by SOO4601

From what I know and have read, RS30/31 is the jack of all trades and runs on all lines as needed, with 30 heading east and 31 returning west. When RS30 runs on the Port Jefferson Branch, they head to Huntington to Kleet Lumber and Nassau Suffolk Lumber, and they run around at Duke (Northport). They used to also head the full length to Port Jeff and switch Nassau Suffolk there. (Might be something else there as well)

And when I caught them at Duke one time, the conductor said they usually head out to Kleet and Nassau Suffolk on Tuesday and go back to grab the cars on Thursday and wait in Duke till the 12:15 train (not sure if that's still there with the new schedule as some other things on this branch changed.)

by Spartan Phalanx

I think service to customers east of Greenlawn has stopped, according to some other topics posted in the NYA Forum. East of Greenlawn was a steel customer who received gondolas and bulkhead flatcars on the St. James team track, and then the lumber yard in Port Jefferson. Strange way to grow business by dropping customers like that.......

by SOO4601

Unfortunately the only thing close to freight business in St. James is the LIRR MOW tie replacement project at the team track. Not even NY&A.

by Nova55

Cant say I blame them with fuel at its prices..

by RPM2Night

I wonder if service out to the St James Team Track and to Port Jefferson (American Dream) will resume after the track program is finished. You'd think that it would be more expensive to ship by truck, since you have a lot of individual truck drivers that have to make a living rather than one train crew.