• Disposal of the E60CPs?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by mlrr

All the rest are out of service and will eventually be scrapped. Before the forum was revamped, a member posted the latest pictures of the E60s which were spotted somewhere in New Jersey. A number of them were ganged together and by the looks of them, it looked as if they wouldn't be coming back.

As you mention 603 is the only one that is being saved (to my knowledge)

by BN7151

According to an issue of Trains magazine from a couple of months ago, the E60s are gone and not coming back. That's all I can say I know.

by AEM7AC920

I have to say I didn't like the things that much but it is sad to see them all lined up waiting to be scrapped :(

by BlockLine_4111

They were corridorial classics. Literally pounding mileage up/down the corridor and lasting into Y2K. I liked those mesh window screens. Who will torch 'em ?

by John_Perkowski

BlockLine_4111 wrote:They were corridorial classics. Literally pounding mileage up/down the corridor and lasting into Y2K. I liked those mesh window screens. Who will torch 'em ?
Uhhh,

Whoever owns the reporting marks MLMX maybe? (See Jeff Lubchansky's photos...)

by geoffs

Survivors:

AMTK958 / NJT958 stored NJ for preservation.
AMTK961 / NJT961 sold to the Navajo Mine RR in April 1995.
AMTK964 / AMTK603 Preserved (RR Museum for PA, Strasburg PA)
AMTK966 sold to the Navajo Mine RR.
AMTK968 sold to the Navajo Mine RR.

by Ol' Loco Guy

Those things were junk.

Why foam over them ?

by mlrr

Those were the pictures I was talking about.

Thanks!

I must say it sure is sad to see the E60's like that, but they had a good run. (Perhaps I'm starting an argument here)I guess you can say they fell to a somewhat worthy apponent. (HHP-8)

by AEM7AC920

Ol' Loco Guy wrote:Those things were junk.

Why foam over them ?
I agree they were garbage but they still were part of the Amtrak fleet and it will take some time to get use to not seeing them.

by transit383

Although they were plagued with problems, I have always been partial to the E60s. It was always a thrill to watch one of them leading a train.
  by Gilbert B Norman

I have difficulty "sobbing" over the retirement of the E-60 from passenger service.

I can think back to a WAS-NYP trip during March 1976. Upon boarding the 405PM (then named Merchants Limited) I was quick to note that this would be my first ride on an all-Amtrak train, for up ahead of the Amfleet consist was an E-60.

Oh boy, this is going to be a trip.

Well, we're by New York Ave and let the acceleration begin! Just great, until we get get to Anticostia Jct!!!

What's going on? the GG-1's never had a problem crossing this interlocking plant at normal speed, but here we are slowing to some 30mph. This is supposed to be a passenger locomotive, what did they buy?

Well, with no real delays, but with the 80mph max speed carefully regulated and the "take it slow" over many an interlocking plant, we lost a good 10 minutes on the schedule just getting over the road.

Once again, what did Amtrak buy?

Well, they simply bought a freight locomotive and called it a passenger. Was that a terrible blunder by the Roger Lewis administration? I don't think so; there really was no alternative.

I would say, along about May 3, or the first Monday after A-Day, the gang at '955 Elephant" realized that the G's days were numbered, and that new electric motive power must be ordered at first opportunity. Only problem is that no US builder had built a passenger electric since the GG-1 (the 1955 vintage New Haven EP-5 was probably more a freight engine than passenger; lest we forget its maximum speed was 70mph). There was hardly time to test Congress (read the purse strings) receptiveness to foreign source equipment; therefore off the shelf could not be considered. Today's policy of foreign technology and content is OK, so long as it is assembeld here hardly had a chance to be formulated. Therefore, it was the E-60 or trains dying on the road - take your pick.

All told, it was fortunate that some G's survived until the foreign source matter was addressed and the AEM-7's entered service. There was always a heavy Florida train with a 4hr+ schedule, a Circus train, or a "work" train, so that they could live out their days earning their keep.

But now they are gone, and I for one really won't miss 'em.

by LI Loco

The E-60 couldn't eat the GG-1s dust. Maybe there is some bias against them because they were planned to send the big G's to NEC heaven, but that doesn't really matter.

Not only couldn't they run in high-speed service, like the AEM-7, but they had the asthetic appeal of a piece of unlined white paper; no sex appeal whatsoever.

HOWEVER, they did last 25 years and were an important part of Amtrak's history, so it is worthy that a few specimens have been saved. Don't think the same could be said for the P-30-CH.