• Joomla! (CMS) Content Management System

• General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...
General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...

Moderators: LIRRMEDFORD, 8th Notch

by jgallaway81

Is anyone here familiar with the Joomla! CMS system?

Its a totally different route in webdev then I've ever gone b4 and I could use some help.

by jgallaway81

in case you are curious why I am interested in this CMS...

http://dispatch.anarr.com

by Benjamin Maggi

I just registered. I cannot wait to check out the new site.

by jgallaway81

Ben, unfortunately, what you see is about all there is...

I can see now why the A&A wanted a new person in as webmaster... my skills have long since become as useful as digital dust.

I traded my computing abilities for a locomotive engineer's license.

by pnaw10

Looks good so far.

After a few years "away" from any kind of web design, I recently got back into it about a year ago myself.

I started off with Drupal, because I read it has been used in a number of top-notch websites (like onion.com) but the documentation is pretty shoddy (English isn't the guy's native language) and I found it tough to customize anything.

I had heard not-so-great things about Joomla, so I avoided it -- but as they say, "don't knock it 'til you've tried it" so take this sentence for what it's worth.

When I ditched Drupal, I moved to WordPress, which has been much better for what I need to do. Yes, WP was originally created for bloggers -- and the default setup is for a blog. But more recent versions have added new features that make it pretty simple to use it as a CMS. I've also found WP to have much better documentation, as well as countless themes and plugins -- and there always seem to be more being developed. Check out www.pnaw10.com for an example.

You can easily change the settings so that, instead of blog posts on the front page, you can create a "static" front page. And you can create other static pages too, so you can have a WordPress site that has NO blog whatsoever.

If you're doing well with Joomla, you should probably stick with it. But if you don't really like it, try Word Press. Their website is at www.wordpress.org and you may even be able to export/import your content so you don't have to rebuild it completely from scratch. (I stress may because it doesn't always work -- there's no export/import from Drupal to WP, so I had to do a lot of copy-and-pasting to manually move my articles over.)

by Plate F

I use Drupal, but I have been casually checking out Joomla the past month. I do not really feel a need to switch, but I have heard some good things about Joomla. I would do it if I were you.

P.S. If you need any help, PM me.

by jgallaway81

Thanx for the info everyone. however we found someone to do a custom interface for us.

by jgallaway81

Thanx for the info everyone. however we found someone to do a custom interface for us.