• Free Ride on Greenbush

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by AEM7AC920

dbperry wrote: Question: is it policy that no fares are collected when the train is running late? Or is that just an informal practice by crews to avoid dealing with disgruntled passengers?

Dave

Fares are suppose to collected regardless of how late the train is, it is pretty much up to the passengers to pursue there refund. In the case of a late train and fares not being collected then the answer would be the conductors even though it may not be within procedure.
  by Otto Vondrak

Greenbush Fan wrote:I was on train # 7x this morning from Greenbush to South Station. I sat on the upper deck of a car. By the time we left Weymouth Landing/ East Braintree station, this level was full. At no time during the entire ride from Scituate to South Station did anyone collect any fares. Silly me! I thought the MBTA was running a severe deficit!!!
If you didn't pay the fare, you should really send a check to the MBTA for the transportation they provided. What are you a thief? :-D

-otto-
  by Cosmo

If you didn't pay the fare, you should really send a check to the MBTA for the transportation they provided. What are you a thief? :-D
-otto-
Would they know what to do with it?
HEY! There's a thought! :-D A charity fund drive to ge the T over thier deficit!

(ok,... I'll sut up and go back to lurking now... :wink: )

by concordgirl

AEM7AC920 wrote:
Fares are suppose to collected regardless of how late the train is, it is pretty much up to the passengers to pursue there refund. In the case of a late train and fares not being collected then the answer would be the conductors even though it may not be within procedure.
Often when a train is very late, there will be people from two trains on one consist, and I mean so many people in the aisles that the conductors cannot get through, especially if there is a wheelchair also. At this point everyone is being equally inconvenienced and it's just common sense to wait and check passes after things calm down somewhat. The regular commuters appreciate this courtesy from the conductors, even if it just makes their job easier, it gives us some breathing room. I've had people practically in my lap for half the ride, through no fault of their own, people just trying to get home. And guess what? MBCR gets their contract $$$$ regardless. Besides, most of us on the peak trains in the p.m. have passes in the first place. *shrugs* Just my take on it.... ;-) But the conductors are there to tell the train when to go and to watch for people getting on and off, not just to collect fares!!!!

by Otto Vondrak

I couldn't have explained it better myself, Ms. Concordgirl!

-otto-

by concordgirl

Okay but.... that's the extent of my knowledge about trains lol The rest of it, I'm just here to learn. All I really know is how to be a passenger ;-) Sad but true.

by BigUglyCat

concordgirl wrote:...All I really know is how to be a passenger...
"Few, if any, have mastered that art."

Eli Cross, in The Stunt Man

by concordgirl

;-) Alright let me clarify.... I meant, all I know how to do is try and be a non-obnoxious, non-PITA passenger :-)

(Since at this point I'm basically just OT, consider me out of this thread for good as of now.)

by BigUglyCat

concordgirl wrote:;-) Alright let me clarify.... I meant, all I know how to do is try and be a non-obnoxious, non-PITA passenger :-)
That is the very art that I, and indeed many others, consider to be in such short supply.