• Service to Nationals games

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by ctaman34

There is a Washingtion metro stop @ stadium-armory that serves RFK stadium

When The Nationals' new ballpark opens in 2008 the green line will serve the park with a station stop @ navy yard station

by CHIP72

To my knowledge, yes. This past June I was down roughly in the area where the Nationals' new ballpark is being built (and got there via the Metro), and the Green Line Navy Yard station's western entrance/exit I believe is about 2-3 blocks north of where the ballpark's home plate area will be located. The Metro station will probably be about 1 block north of some of the outfield entrances.

Incidentally, it appeared the ballpark will also be downhill from the Green Line Navy Yard Metro station.

by Sand Box John

It's been quit a long time sense I was last in the Navy Yard station. However last time I was there I observed that the east entrance passageway has a knock out provision for a surface entrance on the south side of M Street.

WMATA's Planning and Development Committee issued a report with drawings as to what modification needed to be done to the west entrance to accommodate the new baseball park and other development adjacent to the station on 10 19 2006.

Planning and Development Committee: Navy Yard East Entrance 467k PDF (Note: The location of the surface elevator shaft on pages 8 does not stack in the same location as shown on pages 7.)

Summery; The existing facility is designed to handle roughly 5000 people per hour. The WMATA staff recommended to the Planning and Development Committee, relocating the kiosk, fare gates and vendors to the surface, (Rosslyn, Anacostia) increasing the number of fare gates and vending machines and adding a stair between the mezzanine and platform, installing elevators between surface and mezzanine and between mezzanine and platform. These capacity upgrades to the facility will allow the west entrance to handle roughly 15,000 people per hour. On game day the west station entrance will be configured for one way operation before and after games. The east will remain in two way operation on game day.

The modifications were approved by the Real Estate Committee of Board of Directors 09 21 2006

Agenda Real Estate Committee 29.3k PDF

Estimated cost of construction roughly $20,000,000.00

by ctaman34

Can someone please sticky this?

by Sand Box John

"ctaman34"
Can someone please sticky this?

As progress takes place I will post that information in this thread. The thread will return to the top of the list when I make those posts.

In the meantime here is the link to the ball park construction web camera. All of the images taken are archive back to June 15 from the camera looking north and to September 19 from the camera looking south.

by Robert Paniagua

ctaman34 wrote:Can someone please sticky this?
Yes, this has now been stickied.

by ctaman34

Thank's Rob
  by Politburo

The West entrance to Navy Yard is now closed for reconfiguration and reconstruction. It is scheduled to reopen in April 2008.
  by Sand Box John

Went by the station today. As Politburo said the entrance is closed, Clark Construction has fenced off the entrance and put plywood up on the outside of the cage on the south side. Five piles have been driven east of the entrance along the south edge of the WMATA underground easement.

by Sand Box John

Two article have appeared in the Washington Post concerning the expansion of the entrance at the Navy Yard station.

Protest Looms Over Bus Garage Sale
Lawsuit Threatened by Unsuccessful Bidder for 2.2-Acre Parcel Near Stadium
By David Nakamura and Lena H. Sun
Washington Post Staff Writers
Friday, September 28, 2007

Suit Over Metro's Sale of Garage Could Pose Problem for Stadium
By David Nakamura
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, October 12, 2007

by Robert Paniagua

Well, now that the Nats have their new venue right nar he new Blue Line, I wonder if anyone has taken it to the new ballpark yet.

by CHIP72

Robert Paniagua wrote:Well, now that the Nats have their new venue right nar he new Green Line, I wonder if anyone has taken it to the new ballpark yet.
I've taken it to/from work (with a transfer at either Fort Totten or Gallery Place), which is located at the same stop, every day for 3+ weeks. :-)

I noticed tonight when coming home from work, after going over to the ballpark to check out what was going on (and determine if the ticket windows are now open - they are), that the Green Line trains going towards Branch Avenue were packed when they got to Navy Yard; a lot of people are going home at that point, and fans are starting to go to the game. This would have been a few minutes after 6 PM.

FWIW, as has been announced in the media, I confirmed for myself today that the western access for the Navy Yard Metro station is exit only prior to Nationals games. WMATA workers wouldn't let me enter the station there at around 5:55 PM; I had to go over to my (usual) eastern entrance/exit.

by HokieNav

I commute to the yard daily, and left at about 4:45 yesterday to try and "beat the rush" - everything was normal except for the news trucks and many more metro employees standing around waiting to be helpful.

I think that later this week I'll tempt fate and stick around a little bit later until game time (my usual quitting time).

by Sand Box John

"Robert Paniagua"
Well, now that the Nats have their new venue right nar he new Blue Line, I wonder if anyone has taken it to the new ballpark yet.

I'll let it slide this time, I will assume you meant to say "new Navy Yard entrance".

How Did Fans Fare Getting To the Game?
By Daniel LeDuc
Sunday, March 30, 2008

Test Run
Fans Carried Away by First Encounter With Ballpark
By Nick Miroff and Jenna Johnson
Sunday, March 30, 2008

Column
Brand-New Venue, Same Old Enthusiasm
By Marc Fisher
Washington Post
Sunday, March 30, 2008

Ballpark preview nets rave reviews
By Tim Lemke
Washington Times
March 30, 2008

Map:
Going to the Game
Washington Post

Cheers Not Just for the Home Team but for Timely Rails, Clear Roads
By Michael E. Ruane
Monday, March 31, 2008

Team, Transit Officials Pleased With Performance
By Daniel LeDuc and Lena H. Sun
Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Smooth Leadoff To the Nationals' Weeknight Games
By Eric M. Weiss
Tuesday, April 8, 2008

There is more ink at the Washington Post use the key words navy yard, metrorail and metro in search function.