• Bayshore active customer or team track?

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.

by badneighbor

Bay Shore Lumber... I remember that scene, but it seemed like MOW had stuff there every summer, I'd put a guess at around 1977-80.

I rode my bike through the Park Avenue crossing the last day it was open. What year did that close?

I recall freights, not many, I remember the third track extending through, east of First Avenue when that road still went through. I recall that road when it was still a two-way road. My first recollections are the Alco diesels, RS-3s, C-420s, and I don't remember them orange... blue and yellow, but I do remember coaches in KCS colors.

Who remembers the big tire fires at Fourth Avenue around 1982? First major fire I wore turnout gear and shot water at. Yep... those were the days.

by jmeechum

I remember at least one of them. It closed the branch down for a while. I got yelled at by Mom when I got home for smelling like smoke (even though I was 20-21 at the time...). Some pretty thick, black smoke as I recall. Nothing like burning rubber. Wish I had thought of bringing a camera.

I also remember the Park Avenue crossing. Don't recall when it closed (when they put the high platforms in...)

I also recall one particular incident when the First Ave crossing was still open. In an attempt to lose the police, we took a quick right from Union Blvd., shot across that crossing, and got pulled over by them on N. First north of the tracks. Why were we being chased? For me riding on the roof of my friend's '69 Nova down Union Blvd. (And we were sober...) I got a ticket for "Clinging to vehicle roof" He got "Allow clinging to vehicle roof"

Ahhh... to be young and stupid again (instead of middle-aged and stupid...) :-)

by jmeechum

4/4/08 Bay Shore siding

by badneighbor

back to the old MOW photo, there looks like an old Chevy Corvette behind the fence in the background... closer study could figure the year of that car...

by lb101

To tell everyone that the Sperry railcar will be working on the Montauk branch this week and next plus the Ronkonkoma branch on the weekend of the 19. Also the LIRR came out with special schedules for these moves because this will interrupt the line service and will be replaced by bus services.