• Fatal Incident: Train 653 03/11/2008

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by pennstation

LINK

There is one inaccuracy in the article, although it is truly inconsequential in comparison to the incident. 653 is typically scheduled to arrive at 30th ST station at 6:30 PM, not 6:42.

MODERATOR'S NOTE: Edited title, 03/13/08 11:23 PM

by Jtgshu

so thats where it was last night - I heard bits and pieces on the radio, but I didn't know where exactly it was.........what a shame

That area down there, through Levittown/Tullytown, Bristol, Croyden, etc has a lot of people who wander around and trespass on the tracks. About a year or so ago, I was on a SEPTA train and almost show a guy who was drunk (he was stumbling) almost get creamed by an Acela around the Bucks County Times newspaper plant. The PD shut down the RR while they tried to get this guy. I hate running through there, there is always someone too close to the tracks, or crossing the tracks all together.....

My thoughts with all involved :(

by dr11743

Yup we went through this last night, held us an hour @ 30th . Addition to our TSRB, and had to go through @ restricted speed.
  by Jim in S.E. Pa.

The individual who was struck and killed was a man by the name of Mark (last name withheld). He was employed as asst chef at a local restaurant at which I am also employed. The way we understand it, Mark had just picked up a take-out food order at a bar located directly accross the tracks from his home when he was struck. Mark had not been with our place very long. He was quiet, but was just starting to come out of his shell. ( with the jokes, ect) . Yesterday was a sad sad day here, we'er still in shock. He will be missed.
Mark was 51.

Jim

by neroden

Should this area have the tracks fenced?

The NEC gets a *lot* of trains, and a lot of *fast* trains. While people should certainly know better than to cross the tracks anywhere except a properly guarded crossing, unfenced tracks make it *very* easy for people to make the mistake of taking a shortcut.... especially if they're used to slow, low-capacity freight lines, as we are in much of the country.

In an area with a lot of people trespassing on the tracks, on the NEC, surely the added cost of fencing would be well worth it?

by jersey_emt

My thoughts are with the crew members involved in the accident along with the family and friends of the deceased.
  by Jim in S.E. Pa.

Heres a link to an artical published in todays courier times.

http://phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/111- ... 02643.html

We locals are going to start a campaign to have that pedestrian bridge repaired and reopened, and have that section of track fenced off.

Anyone who may know e-mail addresses of Amtrak big shots, please share them with us. we need all the contacts we can get. email to me through the site, or post them here if ya want.
Thanks

by pennstation

Just a note. I rode 653 tonight (Fri 3/14). I heard from some of the regular passengers who I know and the train at the time of the incident that the train was running with the locomotive in the front instead of with the cab car leading. Frequently 653 runs with a cab car leading from NYC to PHL.

The engineer who was driving the time of this incident was back on the job for the first time today. I'm sure it had to be tough for him driving through the area where the train hit the person on the track for the first time after the incident. I noticed he left the cab for a minute or two while we were stopped at Trenton waiting for the late 5PM Acela out of NYC to pass.
  by Jim in S.E. Pa.

Pennstation,

Thank you for your input. My thoughts are certainly with that engieneer (as well as with Mark and his family). I cant imagine what would be going through my mind if I was the engineer. It certainly isnt something ya just pass off as "part of the job". Its something that would stay with me for the rest of my life. Its certainly not his/her fault, and theres not a damn thing he/she could do to prevent it.
If Amtrak would just spend a few bucks and fix/reopen that bridge and fence those tracks off, these occurences would be greatly reduced..
Theres allways going to be some wise guy who has to take the short cut, hopefully a good strong fence will put a damper on that.

Jim