• EJ&E

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

by PRRGuy

This afternoon while train-watching in Whiting, In a short EJ&E freight went by. I noticed something was amiss but I couldn't put my finger on it. The first unit( an SW-1200, I believe) running long hood forward and leading, naturally, had no ditch light nor any other lights save the main headlight. My question is, was this unit supposed to be running secondary or do some engines just not need them? Or, am I just going to get someone in trouble :P
  by JustaBill

PRRGuy wrote:This afternoon while train-watching in Whiting, In a short EJ&E freight went by. I noticed something was amiss but I couldn't put my finger on it. The first unit( an SW-1200, I believe) running long hood forward and leading, naturally, had no ditch light nor any other lights save the main headlight. My question is, was this unit supposed to be running secondary or do some engines just not need them? Or, am I just going to get someone in trouble :P
As long as you aren't going over 20mph over a public road crossing you don't need ditch lights.

by PRRGuy

Well, I dont know about his speed limit, but the line is signaled, and also, it does cross several public streets in town. Perhaps, it has ditch lights only on one end? Next time I'll take a closer look. I've noticed that most other EJ&E locos all have ditch lights on both ends.