Discussion relating to the B&O up to it's 1972 merger into Chessie System. Visit the B&O Railroad Historical Society for more information. Also discussion of the C&O up to 1972. Visit the C&O Historical Society for more information. Also includes the WM up to 1972. Visit the WM Historical Society for more information.

by BaltOhio

It should be mentioned that the Reading used to operate a through overnight train ("The Interstate Express") with sleeper from Philadelphia to Syracuse via RDG/Bethlehem/CNJ/Scranton/DL&W. That was another way to get into that territory.

by Otto Vondrak

The August 2003 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman had an excellent story about the Interstate Express operation. Back issues are available from www.rrmodelcraftsman.com .

-otto-

by BaltOhio

I forgot to mention, too, that there was a joint RDG-LV service between Philadelphia and Buffalo via Bethlehem. In other words, there was direct service from Phila. to at least two major upstate NY points, plus some lesser ones like Binghamton and Elmira.

by Septa Fan

Many of my Eldest relatives delight in informing me that the B&O was the Prestige Service in Phiadelphia towards Washington. They were devoted to the Royal Blue Line, which is strange since we lived off of the PRR in Central Philly. There must have been something superlative about B & O service for such a nonlogical loyalty.
Thank you
Septa Fan