• Electrification in Transportation – A Lively Prospect

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

by Jeff Smith

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/Paul ... y_prospect
We are convinced that electric transit vehicles are the way to go in the current times. As previously mentioned, the public takes to such transit lines as demonstrated in cities from east to west. The Hudson-Bergen Interurban runs from Jersey City to Weehawken via Hoboken. The interurban line in Portland, Oregon runs from Gresham to Hillsboro via Portland. There are some twenty light rail lines between the suburbs and the core urban area. With only one exception, each of the light rail lines has exceeded expectations for ridership. Five of these systems predate the rail revival, the other 15 are brand new in such places as Denver, Dallas, Phoenix and San Diego.
I'm posting this here as it seems to have application to several expansion or new projects currently being discussed. From my point-of-view, I think this would work very well for the cross-corridor TZB project in NY, rather than heavy rail. I think this would be a great idea in Atlanta as well, for corridors which do not currently have any heavy rail ROW, or where the heavy ROW is at capacity or has operators opposed to passenger rail (CSX).