• Fate of four LIRR Passenger Cars?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by fordhamroad

In a recent posting on Railroad.Net's "For Sale" page, Jeff Hagan announced that four LIRR coaches were for sale by the CNY NRHS at $17,000 each.
Are there any prospects that some of these will be picked up by a Long Island museum for display/future excursion use?
Roger

by Richard Glueck

What kind of coaches are these? P54's would be nice.

by scopelliti

From the website,they appear to have five LIRR coaches:
P-72 Coach - LIRR #2910
P-72 Coach - LIRR #2947
P-72 Coach - LIRR #2973
P-72 Coach - RHSX #603 (ex LIRR 2977)
MP-54A1 EMU Coach - LIRR #1149

So, I imagine the four P-72s are for sale. See http://www.rrhistorical-2.com/cnynrhs/r ... ypass.html

by jayrmli

They have been advertising these cars for awhile now. Apparently, their excursion plans had changed between when they bought the cars and today, but not everyone there wants to see them go.

RMLI had asked about the cars in the past, but I think they're just "tire kicking" to see what they would go for. If they were serious, I think the cars would have been sold already.

Jay

by jayrmli

Also, it is the 4 P72s that are for sale. The other car isn't "on the block."

Jay

by scopelliti

Ah, the other car... I was just at the New York State Fair today and took a few shots around the train exhibit. Here are a couple shots:

The P-54: http://pasquale.dhs.org/images/P54_1148_SyracuseNY.JPG

The GG-1: http://pasquale.dhs.org/images/GG-1_4933_SyracuseNY.JPG

The P-72s are located at a different location.

The P-54 was a walk down memory lane. I had an urge to just walk down the center aisle and flip all the seats. Bored my wife with some stories about riding the P-54s during high school from Hempstead to Penn. Some winter mornings the windows were covered with frost. Some evenings I'd be in a smoking car, and I'd get trapped against the window, with the heater running approximately the temperature of the sun's surface with a guy smoking a stogie next to me. I'd want to burn my clothes when I got home. And they say there isn't a good five cent cigar! God, it was hideous.

Enjoy,

Pat

by Nasadowsk

That's not a P-54, that's an MP-54. MU, not steam hauled.

I wonder how much traction gear is left. I know of only two totally complete ones elsewhere (CT and Maine).

by scopelliti

Oops... I knew that! I tend to refer to P-54 as the generic catch-all. Sorry for the confusion.

by Nasadowsk

No problem :)

To make matters more confusing, thew LIRR did occasionally convert P-54s to MP-54s and vice versa. Even more confusing, there were unpowered trailers that were classed MP-54 also....

I think, but I'm not sure, that all the LIRR P-54s had round roofs on them. I know the pingpongs did...

by Mr GP10

What is the latest news with these 4 coaches? Are they any plans to at least to bring possibly 2 cars back home? Jay any ideas at all? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

by jayrmli

No, they're not coming back. Read my first post.

Jay
  by newkirk

I know I brought this subject up before in the past, but how about those Ping-Pongs out in Boonton, NJ ? I spoke to the owner of the restaurant and he would give them away just to get them off his property. He has to spend money painting over the graffiti.

Originally I heard that even if they were placed back on the rails, they couldn't travel because of friction bearings. They would make the perfect steam coaches for #39. Shame they have to go to waste.

Bill "Newkirk"

by jayrmli

Unfortunately, due to their current condition, waste is what they already are. That owner was approached years ago, before the cars became subject to vandalism, extreme rot and decay, etc., and he wasn't too interested then. In fact, he had big plans for them.

Getting them out of there is no easy feat either. They're landlocked, and probably the only viable way to remove them aside from cutting them up is using a crane. It would be a very costly operation for cars that are better suited for the scrapyard.

Friction bearing trucks are not the only problem with them. The trucks are also riveted, and I don't see any Class 1 railroad allowing them over their mainline, particularly a passenger line.

Jay