• What happened to SD38 2001?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by The Rising

Hello folks,

I know that the R&N sold off three of their SD38's. I know the 2002 and 2005 went to Birdsboro.

My question is, why was the 2001 sold?

I believe it is still up at RMDI in Pittston. Thanks in advance for your help.

by RDG Mallet

Rising:

Your assumption is correct. The 2001 is still residing in the RBMN "Boneyard" in Pittston located directly south of RMDI.

Mike

READING LINES "BEE LINE SERVICE"

by The Rising

Thanks for the information. I figured that it was at RMDI. Mr. Delevan seems to buy all of Mr. Mueller's left overs.

Do you know if the engine was retired for mechanical reasons, operational reasons, etc.?

While the units do lack dynamic brakes, they are still 2000 hp locomotives, 645 equipped non turbocharged engines. Given the R&N use of 6 axle road switchers in local service, I can't imagine why they would get rid of those units, unless there is/was something else wrong with them.

Are they geared wrong, or in need of major rebuilding? (I beleive the R&N way is to buy good used locomotives that don't require more than a coat of paint, and then run them to the point where they need rebuilding. If the used locomotive market is soft, like it has been, they will simply buy more secondhand power, rather ran rebuild their existing fleet.)

Thanks in advance for your help.....

by RDG Mallet

Rising:

The 2001 had a rash of electrical problems. So, it became more useful as an organ donor for the others.

I really have no idea why the 2002 and 2005 were sold. I can only speculate to make way for the SD40s and SD50s.

The 2003 and 2004 were kept more than likely because they were the 2 best in the bunch. There again, speculation on my part. :wink:

Mike

READING LINES "BEE LINE SERVICE"
  by krazytrain

Is there any way i can get into Coxton yard / RMDI yard. I now u can go by it on Coxtin road. But how do u get into the part of the yard were the old roundhouse is?