• WE WANT THE R4

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by Matthew Mitchell

benltrain wrote:That really doesn't matter- most (or at least many) people don't even notice the absence of the R4, or that lines are through-routed.
The people who know about through-routing are the ones who have learned by experience, like boarding an R5 Doylestown train thinking it will take them to Bryn Mawr.

I agree the pairing needs to be reconsidered entirely. The original pairing was done on the basis of ridership, with the expectation (remember this was in the late 70s-early 80s, and gas rationing was still fresh in people's memories) that it would increase to the point where longer consists would be called for and therefor you'd want to match up ridership and minimize empty miles.

As it turned out though, two-car consists are sufficient for most off-peak trains, and it would have been more efficient to do the pairing in such a was as to minimize layover times and save a train or two in the base service. That saves millions of dollars a year, maybe even tens of millions.

by cpontani

One thing I've noticed down here is that nobody refers to the trains by the time, but rather the R-designation. It's not the 5:06 to Newark, it's the R...2...express to...Newark Delaware...next to arrive...on Track 3...section A. Let's keep people pushing transfers at the subway stops employed, but not somebody announcing the trains. That's the one thing I always enjoyed at Penn Station or Jamaica.

by Lucius Kwok

I've always heard the trains refered to by the times, both at Suburban and Market East.

by jb9152

cpontani wrote:One thing I've noticed down here is that nobody refers to the trains by the time, but rather the R-designation. It's not the 5:06 to Newark, it's the R...2...express to...Newark Delaware...next to arrive...on Track 3...section A. Let's keep people pushing transfers at the subway stops employed, but not somebody announcing the trains. That's the one thing I always enjoyed at Penn Station or Jamaica.
I believe those folks are still employed, working in the Passenger Services office, or at the PIS/TIDS console in the RROC. They also still man the platforms during peak hours, I believe.

by Matthew Mitchell

jb9152 wrote:
cpontani wrote:One thing I've noticed down here is that nobody refers to the trains by the time, but rather the R-designation. It's not the 5:06 to Newark, it's the R...2...express to...Newark Delaware...next to arrive...on Track 3...section A. Let's keep people pushing transfers at the subway stops employed, but not somebody announcing the trains. That's the one thing I always enjoyed at Penn Station or Jamaica.
I believe those folks are still employed, working in the Passenger Services office, or at the PIS/TIDS console in the RROC. They also still man the platforms during peak hours, I believe.
The person whose recorded voice is used in the station announcements works at the Control Center--on the transit side IIRC. SEPTA was prepared to have someone professionally record the announcements, and then discovered they had this guy already in their employ. Sorry I can't remember his name.

by jb9152

Matthew Mitchell wrote:The person whose recorded voice is used in the station announcements works at the Control Center--on the transit side IIRC. SEPTA was prepared to have someone professionally record the announcements, and then discovered they had this guy already in their employ. Sorry I can't remember his name.
His name is Alvin, and he was a PSS/TIDS operator and RROC announcer last I worked at SEPTA. He does have some great pipes!

by jfrey40535

How about making the R4 a main line shuttle that runs between Glenside and University City or 30th? If you had such a train, which ran 1/4 or 1/2 hourly, you could then allow the long branch line trains (Warminster, Doylestown, West Trenton) to run as express between Temple and Glenside. This would make everyone who whines about stopping at every light pole happy by speeding up their trip a bit, plus would be a little easier on equipment.

by cpontani

Or you could run it to the airport every 15, and call it the R1. :P

I vote for a R2 to Marcus Hook, and the R4 express to MH or Claymont, local to Newark/Elkton/Slower Delaware. Separate out the DelDot service?

by R3toNEC

The Main Line Shuttle makes a lot of sense, but would people who board at Melrose, Elkins, Fern Rock, etc. that travel to points on the northen branches stop riding because of a two seat ride?

by jfrey40535

Good question. Fern Rock especially gets alot of reverse-commute traffic, as I noticed on the Doylestown branch on Saturday. It might depend on what kind of connections could be made at Glenside to minimize wait time.

A few stations might have to be kept as "all stop" for that reason, such as Temple & Fern Rock. A daily headcount might also tell you that only certain trains would be needed to stop there.

Its a tricky situation, but just an idea to keep equipment moving and increase service.

by Red Arrow Fan

Trackseventeen wrote:R4 is in reserve for a future Bryn Mawr local on the R5, if Im not mistaken.
Hmm... a Bryn Mawr local? I always speculated that it was reserved in case they ever rebuilt the Newtown Square branch off the Media-West Chester line.

by Matthew Mitchell

Red Arrow Fan wrote:
Trackseventeen wrote:R4 is in reserve for a future Bryn Mawr local on the R5, if Im not mistaken.
Hmm... a Bryn Mawr local? I always speculated that it was reserved in case they ever rebuilt the Newtown Square branch off the Media-West Chester line.
Nope. Bryn Mawr. It's in the plan, which you can read at the University of Pennsylvania engineering library. SEPTA has never had a proposal to reinstate service to Newtown Square.

Obviously you wouldn't do that (R4 Bryn Mawr) now, given the rate of development of the outer Main Line. Perhaps you might do it if we had Carter-era gas rationing again, with half-hour off-peak express frequencies to Paoli as well as half-hour frequencies to Bryn Mawr or some other short-turn point.