Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by Raritan Express

PABT is already served by the 7 train (42 St Times Square connects to the PABT station on the A, C, E.

by NJTRailfan

paulb, Thanks for the link. What in the hell is the point of extending the damn thing now if it's only going to benefit one station and not the crowded neighborhoods along the line that needs it!?! All that money wasted for the Javits!?! One measily station when the neighborhood that has more businesses and people living there will not get it.

If the MTA wants to be retarded they should just cancel this project and pour that money into SAS until they can get their heads out of the sand and go back to the drawing board to recreate the project the way it should be!!! With the money that will be wasted on this now ridiculous plan they can get one of the SAS segments up and running withi na few years.

I can picture future generations cursing us years from now for not building stations that should've been done years ago and putting special intrest above common sense!

The 7 Extension should've included NYP but that's sadly not going to happen. I expected stupid stuff from NJT, but MTA!?!

by paulb

It's a dismaying decision, but I suppose it comes down to finance.

Being new to this forum, I'm not sure if a topic on NYC's public transit funding fits in. I leave it to the moderator or someone with more seniority than I to start one up, if it's appropriate.

by Wallyhorse

Paul:

It's that construction costs have grown skyhight in recent years, and that has escalated the cost of the project. Also, there apparently was only one bidder, and that too raised the cost.

There is pressure to restore the 10th avenue station as part of the project.

by NJTRailfan

Even if 10th Ave is restored what is the point of extending the 7 just for two stations? When there weretalks to extend the 7 so it can go all the way to PA bus Terminal, NYP and then to Javits along with adding other stops along the way then it was exciting to alot of people. Now to exend the 7 for only two stations alot o people outside the Javists and 10th Ave will not care unless if they plan to work or live in or around the area. Yet another missed opportunity.

by Trainmaster5

The only stop to be added is the Javits stop as of today. The proposal is to build a " shell " for the 10th Ave stop for a station which [may] be built later. The 7 already stops at Times Square- PA Bus Terminal.

by paulb

I can't help but think that the extension of the 7 line is 20th century thinking. Where's the future? Downtown. The L train on 14th street. The forgotten train is suddenly carrying thousands of new riders in from gentrifying neighborhoods in Brooklyn. Bring that across and then up Eleventh Avenue to the Javitz, or even a bit further. Serve the far west side that way.

by NJTRailfan

That idea of the L Extension sounds better then the 7 which will only serve a few people but the L will serve alot more riders.

by Wallyhorse

Actually:

I like the idea a lot of the L being extended first to 14th street-10th/11th avenues and then along with a further extension of the 7 train via 11th avenue to the Javits Center, with the L then continuing up 11th avenue to at least 57th street and possibly up West End Avenue after that to at least 96th street (and a transfer to the 1/2/3) or to the end of West End Avenue at 107th Street and then under the 1 train to a new terminal at either Cathedral Parkway (110th street) or 116th and Broadway.

by Trainmaster5

Why not connect the"'L" and 7 lines at Javits ? The 7 is the next line on the CBTC list anyway. Then continue the "L"further up the West Side as far as necessary. Sort of a replacement for the original "K". Just have a cross platform or two level connection at Javits because of the difference between the BMT and IRT equipment.

by jlr3266

10th Avenue is chock full of development as the neighborhood continues to gentrify. Service to new riders in this area will be the real economic benefit of the 7 Extension. Don't count a 10th Ave station out...

by paulb

That's why it seemed like such a dumb decision. Maybe the station cancellation announcement was tactical, to shore up the base of support for the entire project.

by jlr3266

The single bid really put the screws to the MTA. The GC new they were the only bid since the competition that could bond and handle a job of this size was going after ESA CM019. This has happened on other tunnel jobs. The companies know what is going on and take full advantage of it. Several years ago in Seattle all of the viable bidders joint ventured and doubled the engineer's estimate. Everything had to be repackaged, raising costs (although nowhere close to double) and delaying the project.

by Wallyhorse

Trainmaster5 wrote:Why not connect the"'L" and 7 lines at Javits ? The 7 is the next line on the CBTC list anyway. Then continue the "L"further up the West Side as far as necessary. Sort of a replacement for the original "K". Just have a cross platform or two level connection at Javits because of the difference between the BMT and IRT equipment.
That would be an option, with in that scenario perhaps both trains going to 41st/10th Avenue, with the L then continuing up 10th avenue with stops at 49th and 57th street, with a possible further extension on Amsterdam Avenue to a terminal at 72nd Street and a transfer there to the 1/2/3.

Saying that, if you did extend the L, after Javits I still prefer having the L go up 11th avenue in the same manner, then after 57th up West End Avenue with perhaps stops at 72nd and 96th streets (transfer at 96th to the 1/2/3) and then continuing up to the end of West End (with perhaps a stop at 106th), and then continuing under the 1 to a new terminal at 116th and Broadway.