• Snoozeday: NY&A spur for construction of Tanger Deer Par

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by Sir Ray

Guess I'm the only one left reading Newsday, but today (12 Jan 2007) there's an article on page A37 (couldn't find it on the web, alas) in regards to a 700m spur the LIRR (NY&A?) built onto the Tanger Outler Deer Park site to haul away C&D waste and bring in construction materials. The article has a picture of said spur (so this is one railfreight construction project on Long Island that actually got done), with several Bathtub Gons in the background, several politicians and Tanger officials in the forground, and a clamshell crane overhead just itching to snatch somebody.

From an older on-line article:
"One important component of Tanger's green building will be the use of a railway system. Tanger will build a rail spur that will enable most construction materials and debris to be delivered and removed by train eliminating a significant amount of diesel burning truck traffic from the roadways. Ed Blumenfeld, of Blumenfeld Development Group, which is building the Tanger Outlet said
I'm a bit surprized no-one else posted this before - it's not like everyones hanging at thelirr.com or something :P
Oh, and Nimby - sorry but nobody's gonna turn this into a LRT line either.

by emfinite

Spur is about 2-3 months old and receives CDEX hoppers, which are leased to Coastal Distribution. It's unclear whether the siding is permanent or not, but it looks to be temporary judging on the angle its built out into the open land. Looks like once they finish carting their debris away, the track will be ripped up. The RS-50, 70 and 80 sometimes spot cars there for loading.

Joe

by Spartan Phalanx

Joe:
If possible, could you post some pictures of this spur? I guess it's to the west of the Sagtikos Pkwy. overpass? Thanks.

by NIMBYkiller

Haha Ray, I figured such short sightedness from a project like this. Atleast they had the vision to ship crap out by rail. It'd make a good extension of my LRT idea though. But of course not, this is Long Island.

by BMT

Does anyone have the ETA on the completion of this new Tanger Outlet? For some of us city folk, the Deer Park Tanger will be a blessing....only end up using half a tank a gas instead of the whole enchilada. :-)
  by hrfcarl

Since the clearing has finished, I have not seen any cars on the spur. Constuction is still on going - still receiving shipments? Once the construction is finished are there any new plans to make use of the spur? At the very least garbage removal? Thought there was some talk of trolley service between Deer Park station and mall, but I am assuming that is bus not rail units.

by tj48

As for the "trolley" the last news I read about it said it was to be the 4 wheeled "olde timey" bus kind.
And as for Tanger being a "blessing", many of us who live and work near this thing are reserving judgement.

by jayrmli

The only talk of rail service is probably a couple of posts from some on this board. Part of an overall "dream list."

If there is any shuttle service, it will be of the rubber-tired variety.

Jay