• Franklin, NJ stack train derailment - 1987

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by NaDspr

Does anyone have the date of the Franklin, NJ stack train derailment? It wasn't too long after the stack trains started running between Binghamton and Little Ferry. I remember it damaged an overhead bridge in Franklin.
I would guess it was in 1986-87.

I'm looking to zero in on the date of the derailment.

Thanks for any help on this.

by RichM

I don't remember the date, but there was a lot of coverage of these first several of these mishaps in old issues of BLOCK LINE around that time, if anyone still has them.

by Sirsonic

According to the FRA there was only 1 reportable derailment in Franklin, NJ during 1986-87. It occurred at 1155pm on March 8, 1987. 4 cars derailed when the rail spread beneath the train at a reported speed of 23 mph. Damages totaled $425,000.

by Idiot Railfan

That derailment damaged the vehicular bridge on North Church Road/Route 631 and put it out of service for a couple months.

by NaDspr

Sirsonic wrote:According to the FRA there was only 1 reportable derailment in Franklin, NJ during 1986-87. It occurred at 1155pm on March 8, 1987. 4 cars derailed when the rail spread beneath the train at a reported speed of 23 mph. Damages totaled $425,000.
Thank you. That sounds like it!

by Noel Weaver

I thought it was early 1987 but I had trouble posting last night. It might
have been only four cars but they were platform cars with five platforms
each and double stacks too. It was a real mess and took some time to
get cleaned up.
I went out to have a look and ran into Walter Rich who was very upset
over this one. Walter accomplished a lot on the NYS&W but he went
through a lot in doing it.
The re-opening of this route to through trains was probably one of the
key events in the 1980's.
Noel Weaver

by BlockLine_4111

Which derailment involved loads of ATV's in which the fuel leaked and started a small fire?

by cjvrr

BlockLine_4111 wrote:Which derailment involved loads of ATV's in which the fuel leaked and started a small fire?
Its the same one
  by nfoulds

If anyone would like to see some nice pictures of this train derailment/wreck, I used to be a police officer and just posted them on my Facebook page "Nathan Foulds, Franklin, NJ"
  by nfoulds

I have 42 pictures posted of this train derailment in my "photos" section of my Facebook page and they are in an album entitled "Train Wreck - March 8, 1987". I live in Franklin since 1986 and was at the wreck. I took dozens of pictures not available to the general public as I was also a police officer and had 'connections' to get into the scene beyond the barricades.
  by charlie6017

nfoulds wrote:I have 42 pictures posted of this train derailment in my "photos" section of my Facebook page and they are in an album entitled "Train Wreck - March 8, 1987". I live in Franklin since 1986 and was at the wreck. I took dozens of pictures not available to the general public as I was also a police officer and had 'connections' to get into the scene beyond the barricades.
Hi NFoulds,

Is there a way you could please post a link to your Facebook page so that we can access it?

Thanks very much,

Charlie
  by lhrfan

Copy and paste his name into the FB search line. I found it quickly. Great pics!!!
  by charlie6017

Thanks very much for posting the link and those are great shots!

Charlie