• Modern History of the NYS&W

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by ricebrianrice

Can someone fill me in on the modern history of the NYS&W. Lets say
1970 forward.

Here is what I know, and my questions.

Walter Rich /DO purchased the NYS&W in late 70's.
What was the line doing before then?

In 1982 the D&O acquired the northern division, and added it to the NYS&W.

Why did the D&O change and start using the NYS&W name for their system?

1986 ran first stack pack from Sealand.
What had to be done to reopen the line to run these trains? Did they
have to lay new rail, just fix up what was there, ....?
How did they get trackage rights to Binghamton?

Who did they transfer the stacks to once they reached the end of NYS&W
Line? This is where I am confused, the only connection I can think of
was Conrail, in Binghamton or Syracuse, but the reason they got the
stacks was because Conrail didn't want them.

After the Split of Conrail by NS & CSX in 1999?, how fast did the
stacks go away?

When did they start hauling C&D?

Thanks
Brian

by washingtonsecondary

Can someone fill me in on the modern history of the NYS&W. Lets say
1970 forward.

Here is what I know, and my questions.

Walter Rich /DO purchased the NYS&W in late 70's.
What was the line doing before then? <=== Bought it in 1980, before that the line had local customers between Little Ferry and Butler it switched.

In 1982 the D&O acquired the northern division, and added it to the NYS&W.

Why did the D&O change and start using the NYS&W name for their system? Pretty much after it bought the NYS&W. It may not have been until the northern division until it was 100% offical. Basically it was done to unify the various railroads DO owned.

1986 ran first stack pack from Sealand.
What had to be done to reopen the line to run these trains? Did they
have to lay new rail, just fix up what was there, ....? They had to clear the line of trees and other brush, lay new ballast, rebuild some of the bridges, eventually the rail was replaced with welded rail

How did they get trackage rights to Binghamton? Haulage Rights (NYS&W cargo & freight cars on Conrail trains) and then Trackage rights (NYS&W trains, NYS&W crews on Conrail tracks)with Conrail.

Who did they transfer the stacks to once they reached the end of NYS&W
Line? This is where I am confused, the only connection I can think of
was Conrail, in Binghamton or Syracuse, but the reason they got the
stacks was because Conrail didn't want them. It's not that Conrail didn't want them, conrail wouldn't agree to Sealand's terms. D&H (Guilford) took the stacks in Binghamton to points west, or transfered them to NYS&W going east.

After the Split of Conrail by NS & CSX in 1999?, how fast did the
stacks go away? After the contract's expired, they were gone.

When did they start hauling C&D? I heard the rumor of C&D coming in Late 2002-Early 2003, I think it began in late 2003

Thanks
Brian

by RichM

Brian, try here:

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11886

Everything you always wanted to know about the NYS&W but were afraid to ask.

Seriously, one question's answer usually leads to another question. The four books that are mentioned with some frequency will take you up to about 2000. This forum is a great source for everything more current.

by NaDspr

How did they get trackage rights to Binghamton? Haulage Rights (NYS&W cargo & freight cars on Conrail trains) and then Trackage rights (NYS&W trains, NYS&W crews on Conrail tracks)with Conrail.
Just a little more detail on this....
As part of the sale agreement transfering Conrail's Syracuse and Utica lines to the NYS&W, which took place in April 1982, the NYS&W was granted haulage rights from Binghamton to Passaic Jct, NJ and trackage rights from Binghamton to Warwick, NY.

Conrail train BUOI (Buffalo to Oak Island, NJ) would pick up NYS&W cars at Binghamton and "haul" them to the NYS&W at Passaic Jct for a set fee per car under terms of the Haulage Agreement.

The trackage rights agreement allowed NYS&W to use Conrail tracks. But NYS&W had to use their own engines and crews. Conrail was paid a set car-mile fee per car, which was less than the "haulage fee". The trackage rights route was from Binghamton / Campbell Hall / Warwick and back to NYS&W rails at Warwick, which is the current route.

In order to exercise the trackage rights option, the NYS&W had to rebuild and upgrade their 20 mile Lehigh & Hudson River line from Warwick, NY to Sparta Jct, NJ and the 26 miles from Butler to Sparta Jct, NJ which had been out of service for many years.

If my memory serves me correctly, the NYS&W paid for a new connecting track at Hudson Jct so they could make a continuous move to/from NJT to the Hudson Secondary, thus eliminating the time consuming pull-by moves at Maybrook Yard which required reswitching the train in proper order (stack, flats, freight) to operate on Conrail.