• Did the NYC own their own line into St. Louis ?

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by AmtrakFan

Someone told me that the NYC that the Farest West NYC went was Peoria. But in a book I saw a Photo that had a CB&Q train on the NYC in St. Louis. So I'm asking if the NYC owned their line into ST. Louis or did they have Trackage Rights also where did the line come from? Or was Peoria the Farest West on the NYC?

AmtrakFan

by shlustig

Fan,

NYC accessed St. Louis on its own tracks, former Big Four. Route was Cleveland, Galion, Marion, Bellefontaine, Sidney, Union City, Muncie,
Anderson, Indianapolis, Greencastle, Terre Haute, Mattoon, Pana,
Hillsboro, E. St. Louis.

Division Points / Terminals were Bellefontaine, Indianapolis, and Mattoon.

Entry into St. Louis Station was via TRRA.

The TRRA Hist. Society published a special issue of their periodical detailing the NYC operations into St. Louis. Copies may still be available.

by CarterB

What was the trackage rights or joint ownership with the C&EI between Pana, Il and St. L?
  by eddiebear

The C & EI was the tenant road. C & EI built a Findlay-Pana extension off their Southern Illinois coal route about 1904 and obtained trackage rights over NYC's BIG FOUR ROUTE to the St. Louis Terminal area. C & EI had its own Mitchell Yard in the St. Louis terminal area. St. Louis entry made C & EI attractive to Frisco and MoPac in the early years, but they overextended themselves and threw themselves into bankruptcy courts along with C & EI. C & EI ended passenger service over the route in 1949 but continued freight service. The arrangement continued into the Penn Central era. The entire stretch, 80 miles or so, was eventually sold to MoPac. Don't know if it was PC or Conrail which sold it.
It is very unusual for a lengthy stretch of railroad to be jointly owned. Even if two roads are using a piece of track, the owner road almost always keeps total control; maintenance, dispatching, operating rules, scheduling, terms and conditions under which the tenant may conduct business and the PRICE the tenant pays.

by AmtrakFan

Also didn't the L&N want the CE&I also who would of got the CE&I if the MP/SLSF didn't go Belly UP also when was that?

AmtrakFan