• Peru Rail

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

by caboose9

Hi,

Has anyone ridden Peru Rail?

Thanks, Roger

by David Benton

I have , nearly 20 years ago now . Trains were reasonably comfortable , but keep an eye on your belongings , which goes for anywhere in Peru .
The ride from Lima up into the mountains is spectacular , (to huncayo?) , and of course cusco to macchu pichu train is too .

by george matthews

David Benton wrote:I have , nearly 20 years ago now . Trains were reasonably comfortable , but keep an eye on your belongings , which goes for anywhere in Peru .
The ride from Lima up into the mountains is spectacular , (to huncayo?) , and of course cusco to macchu pichu train is too .
Does the Trans-Andean train still function? I have the impression it has ceased. (I gather it needed Oxygen).
  by caboose9

Hi,

This site has information on the trains I'm thinking about riding: http://www.orient-express.com/web/tper/ ... equipa.jsp .

If I go, I'll probably not sign up for a tour package and just buy my tickets at the depots. I'm thinking that there should be ample tourist accomodations in this area.

Do any of the US railtour companies other than Orient Expre$$ offer a Peru trip?

Cheers, Roger

by David Benton

From that website , it appears they cater for group travel only from Arequipa . Wether theres a ordinary train they attach thier car to , i dont know . certainly the fares are higher than what the ordinary trains would be . Arequipa is a nice city , with hiking opportunities nearby .
The south american guide is a good travel guide to the area . though i think lonely planet do a guidebook to Peru .