• Franconia-Springfield Station

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by mtaworkhorse

i was visiting virgina and got a chance to ride the metro rail i loved how clean it was and it was a very smooth ride hwoever i didnt like how u had to pay by distance but oh well.

I noticed there were two tail tracks running south of the station i was wondering if they were used for overnight storage or mearly just to change tracks for incoming and outgoing trains?

by WMATAGMOAGH

Trains typically change tracks at the crossover north of the station. However, the tracks are also used for storage at times. I'm not sure if any trains are scheduled to lay up there on a regular basis.
  by Sand Box John

"mtaworkhorse"

I noticed there were two tail tracks running south of the station i was wondering if they were used for overnight storage or mearly just to change tracks for incoming and outgoing trains?

All of the terminals have tail track. At four of the terminal the tail tracks integrated into the yard leads. (Shady Grove, Glenmont, Greenbelt and Branch Avenue)

As Oren stated the interlockings on the inbound end of the terminal stations are used for crossing over at the beginning and ends of runs.

Franconia-Springfield is unique in that it has three tail tracks. Largo has a tail track configuration almost identical to Franconia-Springfield, the primary difference is that it is underground. The largo tail tracks are used for storage, inspection and light maintenance.

I have never seen trains stored in the tail track at Franconia-Springfield, however I would find it hard to believe that they are not used for off peek or overnight storage of trains.

by Robert Paniagua

I've seen trains stored at Franconia Springfield Station from an Amtrak train once, so they still use it for train layup. Also, the Vienna Station has a similar small train layup tracks too, although the main yard is located north of West Falls Church

by Sand Box John

"Robert Paniagua"
I've seen trains stored at Franconia Springfield Station from an Amtrak train once, so they still use it for train layup. Also, the Vienna Station has a similar small train layup tracks too, although the main yard is located north of West Falls Church

Of the 9 terminal stations on the system Vienna and Huntington are the only 2 that have no interlockings beyond the outbound end of their platforms.

The interlockings beyond the ends of the platforms at Franconia Springfield and Largo provide no direct movement between tracks 1 and 2. The interlockings at these 2 terminals connect to a third track between the 2 main tracks. The tail track at these 2 terminals are akin to the pocket tracks found along the main line of the system (single ended pocket tracks).

The interlockings on the outbound ends of all other the terminal station with the exception of New Carrollton have 2 crossovers or a single double crossover. The New Carrollton outbound end interlocking lacks a crossover for allowing a movement of a train from track 1 at the platform to tail track 2. The New Carrollton tail tracks are not part of the yard lead. The interlocking beyond the Greenbelt station platform is within the yard limits and under the control of the tower in Greenbelt yard, all other interlockings beyond terminal stations are under the control of the systems Operation Control Center or the terminal supervisor.

by mtaworkhorse

thanks for all the answers, i have to say dc is one of the most extensive systems in the states besides nyc and chicago. However it is way cleaner. the trains are very classy and comfortable. I would say they are the cadillac of trains. i also took some photos throughout the system and noticed some of these track configurations you all had mentioned to me. fair fax, greenbelt ect. when i get a chance i will post of my photos later for you guys, thanks.

by Sand Box John

mtaworkhorse,

Here is the System Track Schematic

by mtaworkhorse

perfect thanks ive been looking for one of those. www.nycsubway.org has alot of nice ones as well.

by Sand Box John

"mtaworkhorse"
perfect thanks ive been looking for one of those. www.nycsubway.org has alot of nice ones as well.

David Pirmann was asked by the suits at WMATA to remove the metrorail track schematic drawn by Michael Adler after the attacks of 09 11 2001.

I began the process of complaining the information for my track schematic back in the early 1990s, the first version was published to the web in 1998. The map design is based on the model board displayed on the 4 projection screen in the WMATA metrorail Operation Control Center. Printed copies of my track schematic can be found displayed in the supervisor offices adjacent Operation Control Center.

Here is a the track schematic with the Tyson, Dulles, Loudoun County N Route Silver line branch added to it. The data was compiled from Final Environmental Impact Statement and the Preliminary Engineering Design Refinements Environmental Assessment.