• Hiring at Villa Grove

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by tim allen

Well heres my next question I got invited to a hiring season for Villa Grove Im closer to St Louis.Is Villa Grove in the St Louis district to where I can maybe later on get in there.Thanks for your help guys you all are great help.

by UPRR engineer

Moved to the Employment Forum.

by UPRR engineer

Doesnt look like it to me after looking at a crew board map i have. Looks like you'll be on drag freight between there and Chicago. Hard to tell what Hub, if any, that Villa Grove is part of. Id guess the Chicago Hub if it was part of one.

by Big Ed

Villa Grove is part of the St Louis Hub. VG has had a lot of conductors jump ship to CN in nearby Champaign as of late. In addition to the call of more money with CN, they are also escaping the wrath of some hell bent trainmaster at VG. I guess it's multiple reasons for people leaving. You can work anywhere on the STL Hub you can hold seniority, but since you want to work closer to St Louis, I probably wouldn't tell them at the hiring session that you're really wanting there versus VG.

Anyhoo, other locations you can/will protect in the STL Hub are Salem and Dupo, Illinois and also Dexter, Missouri. As a young guy expect to live on the road at those locations (mostly Dupo) until you can build some seniority.

There are two boards out of VG, the XT21 (extraboard) and the RT24 (VG-Chicago). A friend says the guaranteed conductor's extraboard there pays about $2,300 per half. Not sure how short they are now, but the most recent STL Hub conductor's class started October 8th.

Hope that info helped some.

by cifn2

VG is in the St. Louis Service unit, Ed is correct, VG is where the new guys are getting forced, even the St. Louis guys were getting forced their because they couldn't hold st. louis until some guys retired. They overhired a while ago.... and now they got young guns everywhere!
Big Ed wrote:Villa Grove is part of the St Louis Hub. VG has had a lot of conductors jump ship to CN in nearby Champaign as of late. In addition to the call of more money with CN, they are also escaping the wrath of some hell bent trainmaster at VG. I guess it's multiple reasons for people leaving. You can work anywhere on the STL Hub you can hold seniority, but since you want to work closer to St Louis, I probably wouldn't tell them at the hiring session that you're really wanting there versus VG.

Anyhoo, other locations you can/will protect in the STL Hub are Salem and Dupo, Illinois and also Dexter, Missouri. As a young guy expect to live on the road at those locations (mostly Dupo) until you can build some seniority.

There are two boards out of VG, the XT21 (extraboard) and the RT24 (VG-Chicago). A friend says the guaranteed conductor's extraboard there pays about $2,300 per half. Not sure how short they are now, but the most recent STL Hub conductor's class started October 8th.

Hope that info helped some.