• Lott/Lautenberg Re-Introduce Amtrak Bill in Senate

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by mkellerm

While I can understand the skepticism, I don't think that the prospects for the bill are nearly that bad. If and when the bill passes the full Senate, Pelosi and friends should be able to move it through the House process fairly quickly. My guess is that the House committee review will be pro forma at best. At this point, I think that the biggest risk to the bill is a blowup between Amtrak and the unions, which could make it difficult for the Democracts to push the bill. That notwithstanding, I'd say there is about an 80% chance that this thing will be signed, sealed, and delivered by the end of the 110th congress.

by mkellerm

As a heads-up, S.294 is up for consideration by the full Senate tomorrow, according to the calendar on the Senate Democratic website:

http://democrats.senate.gov/calendar/2007-10.html

I can't believe Reid would bring it up unless they have the votes to pass it quickly.

by gprimr1

A bit of a naive question, but why would the unions be against a bill that would give their company a mission and thus ensure their jobs?

Let's cross our fingers it passes, 41 co-sponsors is pretty impressive.
  by ljeppson

I don't pretend to know Senator Lott's motivations, but I can tell you that passenger train service through Mississippi north and southound has always been very popular there, to the point of being cited in several microeconomics texts. I'm sure the senator's Amtrak support isn't hurting him any at home

by mkellerm

gprimr1 wrote:A bit of a naive question, but why would the unions be against a bill that would give their company a mission and thus ensure their jobs?
One reason is that this bill has been a management objective for many years; if labor is headed for "self-help", their friends on the Hill may not want to reward management with a legislative victory. It would be tactics rather than strategy.

by North Coast Limited

any word on if it has enough votes?

by gprimr1

Senator Sununu (R-NH) proposed an amendment that would effectivly destory Amtrak outside the NEC.

I left before he finished talking.

by gprimr1

That's good news.

by Gilbert B Norman

With reference to Mr. Obienick's link, it is interesting to note the number of Senators that are Presidential contenders are "not voting" on this matter.

I guess it is a "don't make waves" situation.

by obienick

I'm guessing they are off on the campaign trails somewhere.

Further good news, the second Sununu ammednment also failed. It would have given the FRA the authority to bid out all of the long distance routes. It would have expanded on what is currently on the bill, which allows 2 routes a year to be bidded out.

by Gilbert B Norman

"Not exactly for the cause"; opinion piece wirtten October 15:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/murphy/murphy126.html

The author even posts an e-mail address.

Pertinent "brief passage":

• In a short piece like this I naturally can’t get into all the technical economic arguments. For example, a Harvard Ph.D. would argue that (say) the government can make society better off if it takes money from our paychecks to spend on vaccinations or literacy. I deal with claims like these in my book, but for the Amtrak case it’s not necessary. There is no "spillover" benefit to society at large from having Amtrak. If the benefits of Amtrak exceed its costs, then it wouldn’t need government handouts to stay afloat. And to cut off those subsidies wouldn’t necessarily spell the demise of Amtrak, either. Firms are a lot more efficient when they face the prospect of bankruptcy.

by gprimr1

The final vote appears that it will be tomorrow.

The sponsors are encouraging people with amendments to offer them, so as to keep the bill from becoming controversial.

I think they should ban Sununu from offering any more amendments though. :P

by railfanofewu

In this era of increasing gas prices, it might eventually see Long-Distance Passenger services worth privatizing. Right now, with the skeletal network, I would not try it. I would like to see the Grand Luxe Limited Experiment be given a chance, at least 1-2 years.

by mkellerm

It looks like there won't be a vote on S.294 today (unless they approve by unanimous consent, which is unlikely). Probably next Monday or Tuesday.