• Fancy UP Tank Cars

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by ljeppson

Here is a link to a photo I took today - 10/17/07 in UP North Yard in SLC. It shows two UP tank cars with the numbers UPT 5 and UPT 8. Note the fuel nozzle logos. I was wondering if these were intended to become fuel tenders in lashups.

www.utahtransit.us/tankis.htm
  by hinge817

i first saw these in use about 8 or 9 years ago. they put one between the lead two locomotives on coal trains. my guess is so they didnt have to stop and fuel as much. it would be loaded with diesel fuel and supply the lead locomotives. havent seen them since. i guess since the dp technology, it would still need to stop and take on fuel. just a theory. im sure some manager got a good bonus for thinkin up the idea.

by UPRR engineer

No Route information exists for UPT5.
Accomplished Events:
Status Event City, State Local Time Train ID or Road
Empty Released for Movement Coubluffs,IA Oct 12 16:00
Empty Departed Coubluffs,IA Oct 13 23:07 MCBNP 14
Empty Arrived Nplawest,NE Oct 14 12:16 MCBNP 14
Empty Departed Nplawest,NE Oct 16 0:28 MNPRO 15
Empty Arrived Sallakcit,UT Oct 17 10:30 MNPRO 15
Empty Departed Sallakcit,UT Oct 19 19:06 MSCLV 19
Empty Arrived Arden,NV Oct 20 12:03 MSCLV 19
Empty Departed Arden,NV Oct 20 17:07 MLVYR 20
Empty Arrived Yermo,CA Oct 21 0:14 MLVYR 20
Empty General Hold Yermo,CA Oct 22 14:22 PJ
* Indicates an offline event.
================

Think my guess might be right, put them on those hot shots with guaranteed delivery.

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=43915
  by GOLDEN-ARM

hinge817 wrote: im sure some manager got a good bonus for thinkin up the idea.
If he did, he stool the idea from the BN and/or the CP/Soo, who have been doing this for years. BN painted theirs to match the motors, and dragged them all over the system, while the Soo Line used theirs to smuggle fuel to Canada, until the "gig was up". Last I saw them, they were takin' up space in Shoreham, Pigs Eye Lake Yard, and Milwaukee.