• Scrap loads to Long Island?

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by jtunnel

I was watching a CSX freight cross the Hellgate Bridge heading towards Fresh Pond yesterday.

In the mix of cars were loaded gondolas with loads of scrap.

Is ther some place on NY&A that RECEIVES freight carloads of scrap? Most of the scrap I've seen is heading off the Island and not onto it. Very curious.

Thanks

by jayrmli

Several scrap dealers take scrap in. Gershow will buy scrap and store it until the price for that kind of metal goes up.

Jay

by the missing link

add 2 cut up hoppercars, DOH!
  by freightguy

The cars are probably heading out to Gershow in Medford. I noticed alot of them loaded down at 65 St also. Must be slow for scrap right now.

I once read in the NYA costumer log book that someone punch a hole in the door at Gershow, because the NYAR didn't have cars for their East End facility. You wouldn't think someone would be so angry around Christmas time. :P