• What speeds are attained by LIRR

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by CHANGEATJAMAICA

We hear a great deal about the speed of Acela's and Metroliners on Amtrak; what speeds are regularly attained by the LIRR in daily operation on various lines?
Thanks
Best regards,
Rodger

by DutchRailnut

The max permisable speed on LIRR is 80 mph more than fast enough for commuter operations.

by LIRRMEDFORD

If I had to take a guess I would say and Express DE/DM could hit about 80. This is probably mostly obtained by trains that go from Jamaica to Huntington or Patchouge with no stops

by RetiredLIRRConductor

WARP SPEED!!! In fact, once a year we break the time barrier.
The Night the clocks go back, the 1:20 AM tain to port was leaves Penn at 1:20, arrives in Port wash 1:05!!!

by kuzzel540

The Bi-Levels can go 100 MPH, but the speed limit for the LIRR is 80MPH.

by DutchRailnut

My Mustang is good for 190 mph but Its not the max allowable speed.
The M-3 and M-7 is rated at max 100 mph too but it means nothing if RR does not allow it.

by mark777

Maximum spped in electrified territory is 80 MPH for both M-7/ M-3 equipment, and DE/DMs with C-3s.

In Non electrified territory, DE/ DM's maximum speed is 65MPH, however, just like in electrified territories, there are permanent speed restrictions in place that do not allow the speeds mentioned above. Some branches have a lower MAS than others because of curves, interlocking speed limits, or track conditions that warrant a lessor speed.

As for the highest speed that the equipment is capable of reaching, (off the LIRR if they ever had a chance to)

M-7's are suppose to be rated at a Maximum speed of 120MPH, and I believe that the M-3's are 100+, although I wouldn't want to do more than 80 with them!!

DE/DMs were rated at 110MPH max, C-3's I believe are just 100MPH max. In any case, you will never see those speeds on the LIRR.

by LB

What's the reason trains go so slow through Riverhead?
  by SwingMan

Due to old rails, rotting ties, low hanging branches, and....399 taking a spin around the neighborhood :wink: . lirr415-Peter

by RetiredLIRRConductor

and you forgot about people hanging out on the tracks there, especially just east near the curve and houses.

by kuzzel540

LB wrote:What's the reason trains go so slow through Riverhead?
If you think Riverhead is slow, Check out Greenport

by LIRRMEDFORD

ya gotta love that 15mph restriction :P

by finsuburbia

mark777 wrote:Maximum spped in electrified territory is 80 MPH for both M-7/ M-3 equipment, and DE/DMs with C-3s.

In Non electrified territory, DE/ DM's maximum speed is 65MPH, however, just like in electrified territories, there are permanent speed restrictions in place that do not allow the speeds mentioned above. Some branches have a lower MAS than others because of curves, interlocking speed limits, or track conditions that warrant a lessor speed.

As for the highest speed that the equipment is capable of reaching, (off the LIRR if they ever had a chance to)

M-7's are suppose to be rated at a Maximum speed of 120MPH, and I believe that the M-3's are 100+, although I wouldn't want to do more than 80 with them!!

DE/DMs were rated at 110MPH max, C-3's I believe are just 100MPH max. In any case, you will never see those speeds on the LIRR.
65 mph in non-electric territory? Is that because of track conditions or some other reason?

by Jumpshot724

Due to old rails, rotting ties, low hanging branches, and....399 taking a spin around the neighborhood . lirr415-Peter
What? When? How?
  by Frank

lirr415 wrote:Due to old rails, rotting ties, low hanging branches, and....399 taking a spin around the neighborhood :wink: . lirr415-Peter
Could the number of grade crossings in the area also be a factor in how fast the trains go?