• There is absolutely no justice in this world.

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by strider1500

Please forgive my rant.

I attended a hiring session for a Track Laborer with NS. It wasn't open to the public, just those who applied online. I wasn't even given the opportunity to interview, after they reviewed our applications, they called out several names and mine wasn't one of them.
Now, normally most people would say that's life. True, but in my case, here's why I'm going nuts over this:
I have railroad experience (Conductor on a local shortline), I have a CDL, construction experience and have no problem with what they always refer to as the "lifestyle". I'm living that lifestyle.
On top of all this, they called out the name of a woman in the group. Now before anyone thinks I'm being sexist, she is maybe 5'5" tall and soaking wet, she might weigh 130lbs.
I'm 6'3" and 258 lbs, I've swung pick axes, dug halfway to China with a shovel and know my way around construction equipment. I have no idea what this woman's background is, but if a job is as labor intensive as this is, how on earth can they pick her over me?
There can be no way that they actually looked over my application. I need to call Johnnie Cochran. Oh wait, he's dead. See what I mean. :-D

Thanks for listening.

by e.sillery

From my experience NS does not hire from short lines. They say they have developed too many bad habits, safety wise.

I went from NS to a short line and I see what they were talking about. My short line has no safety rules compared to NS.

by powerpro69

Well Strider, they have to fill those EEO quotas, it's a dam shame.

by slchub

Question can be asked as to why I was invited to an interview in Valdosta, GA, but turned down for a interview in Atlanta, GA for a TE&Y position. I guess it depends on who the HR Rep is, if the Holiday Inn provided an upgrade the night before, and whether or not the HR Rep understands the job at hand.

Keep trying. Why did Amtrak pick me up as a Hogger but NS did not want me in ATL? Who knows.

Good luck.

by jg greenwood

Because there's one immutable fact:
Human Resources is staffed by any number of mysterious, without-a-real-clue individuals!! Love that title, "Generalist". What in the hell is that? :wink:

by strider1500

e.sillery wrote:From my experience NS does not hire from short lines. They say they have developed too many bad habits, safety wise.

I went from NS to a short line and I see what they were talking about. My short line has no safety rules compared to NS.
I understand your point, however, I applied online and included my resume. Both the app and the resume clearly listed my rail experience, yet they still called me three times and e-mailed me twice about the session.

by key43095

Well strider1500, when I applied to NS for a conductor position you had to take a math, reading comprehension and a personality test. Everyone that passed all of them got an interview. So it just might be you.

by Peace_Maker

At my interviews everyone that passed the tests got an interview but I applied with UP and BNSF. That seems shady to invite you to a session to not even interview you. I saw some guys at my BNSF interview that flew 2000 miles, I drove 350 miles to attend the hiring session, I would have been mad if I didn't even get a chance to interview. Did you have to take any tests?

by strider1500

key43095 wrote:Well strider1500, when I applied to NS for a conductor position you had to take a math, reading comprehension and a personality test. Everyone that passed all of them got an interview. So it just might be you.
You couldn't be more incorrect, there were NO aptitude tests whatsoever.
The NS rep talked for about an hour, then gave us an opportunity to make any changes to our applications and then we were told to go out into the hallway and wait until they called us back in.
Once we were all in the room she called out the names who were to be given interviews.

by strider1500

Peace_Maker wrote:Did you have to take any tests?
Not one test. It took about 30 minutes for my head to stop spinning, (think Linda Blair). :-D

by shortlinerailroader

Strider, did you approximate your hire-and leave dates on your online application, or were they accurate? Were you ever fired from a job?

I went to a BNSF session and they said that dates, terminations and other information must be correct or you will not be considered. They DO contact previous employers (at least thats what they told us).

by strider1500

shortlinerailroader wrote:Strider, did you approximate your hire-and leave dates on your online application, or were they accurate? Were you ever fired from a job?

I went to a BNSF session and they said that dates, terminations and other information must be correct or you will not be considered. They DO contact previous employers (at least thats what they told us).
I understand what you're saying but again, they didn't even get that far, all they did was supposedly while we were out in the hall, they reviewed our applications.

There was no way that they could have found any of that information out in 20 minutes. To answer your question, my dates were up-to-date and there were no terminations in my employment history.

by Peace_Maker

Sounds like you got hosed bud. IMO you have the right to be mad, I don't think a RR should invite you to an interview and not even interview you.

by strider1500

Peace_Maker wrote:Sounds like you got hosed bud. IMO you have the right to be mad, I don't think a RR should invite you to an interview and not even interview you.
I agree, at least give me the chance to screw it up. :-D

by rocketman

Find the HR phone number and call for an explanation. Maybe you'll find someone sympathetic to your situation and qualifications.