• Massapequa Park Elevated Construction pics

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by greenwichlirr

Anyone got any they can post? I'm looking for pics that were taken during the transition from ground level to elevated trackage, including the temporary depot.

Thanks ahead of time!

by Frank

Here's a page some pictures shortly before the station was elevated. They are at the bottom of the page.

http://arrts-arrchives.com/MASSPARK.html
The station platforms look like temporary ones.

by greenwichlirr

Yeah, I've seen those....thanks for the link, though!

I'm 99% positive that those pics stem from the mid 70's--a few years before grade-elimination, due to A: The cars, and B: the fact that all the trees are still intact. All of those trees would have been bulldozed during construction.

by LB

I have about color 10 polaroids I shot in July 79. A few show the red temporary station and elevated structure under construction. Also have the Newsday clipping from DEC '80 announcing the opening of the new station. It has a b/w photo of the transistion. I do not have a scanner, any ideas how I can help you out?

by RetiredLIRRConductor

post em!!
Go to a fedex kinko's. They have scanners you can use, only costs a few bucks. The have machines that take your money, and issue debit cards you can use on their machines.
I know there is one right by the RR station in hicksville, right across the street on the south side towards the east end of the platform. Used to use it when I had swings in hicksville on collectors jobs.

I remember that massapequa park was the last station to be elevated.
There were a lot of accidents at the crossing at the west end of the station while they built the embankment and elevated station. I remember them putting in sirens in addition to the usual crossing gates and lights and bells.
Part of the problem was people coming in and out of the mall, and not being able to see the trains coming due to the embankment being in the way. Then you would have a Bablyon express or a Montauk express come barreling through and you can guess the rest. I dont recall the RR putting in a speed restriction through there, but I could be wrong.
Another infamous incident that happend there before it was elevated, was a Male got hit by a babylon express one weekend. The next weekend, same train, same engineer, the girlfriend of the male victim jumped in front of the train. :(

by LB

Thanks for the suggestions. Will execute the project this week and mail photos to "Greenwichliirr" and hopefully he will be able to post them.
  by Head-end View

We had a discussion about this several years back. Somebody said the worst crossing was Unqua Road, which is east of the station. That there were still a few old timers on the job who talked about those days. I remember at the station there were flashers warning of a second train approaching the other way after one train passed and the gates stayed down. Kind of an early version of the system that's now at the Stewart Ave. crossing at the Bethpage Station.

by newkirk

Another infamous incident that happened there before it was elevated, was a Male got hit by a Babylon express one weekend. The next weekend, same train, same engineer, the girlfriend of the male victim jumped in front of the train.
I knew the engineer of both trains. He told me of the incidents and his family receiving vicious phone calls afterwards branding him as a murderer. I believe he changed his phone number after that. He's long retired, haven't seen him in years.

by LB

The Unqua Rd crossing was closed during the elevation project and converted to a pedestrain/bicycle crossing only. The red temporary station platformed 12 cars and had 2 pedestrain overpasses. From the pictures, it looks virtually identical to the Merrick/Bellmore temporary stations that went out of service in June 1975. The 9 photos sent US Mail today to "GreenwichLIRR".