• What happened to ex-CR 8061?

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
  by Beech Cricker

I was looking at an NS roster on line and did not see the former Conrail 8061, a GP38-2. I'm almost certain it went to NS in the Conrail split-up. Does anyone know its disposition?

by ATF1224

It shows to now be NS 5271, and assigned to the PP&L Strawberry Ridge dumper.

by Beech Cricker

Thanks for the info, Jake.

Upon taking another look, the site I was looking at was not a unit-by-unit roster but a list of photos. I guess they simply didn't have a photo of the 5271. I mistakenly thought it was off the roster being that it wasn't listed there.

Its current assignment to Strawberry Ridge makes sense as it brought many a train to the Ridge during Conrail days.

by ATF1224

Glad to help.

I think the strawberry ridge assignment has something to do with the unit being equipped with low profile equipment to operate in the dumper. Several GP38-2's and SD40-2's are equipped this way.

by Beech Cricker

[I think the strawberry ridge assignment has something to do with the unit being equipped with low profile equipment to operate in the dumper. Several GP38-2's and SD40-2's are equipped this way.[/quote]

I believe such equipment has a notch cut out of the ends of the plows, and possibly other modifications to allow them to operate at the dumper.

by Beech Cricker

I should have said notched pilots as opposed to notched plows.

Also I understand the Ridge units may have had low speed controls added.

by nolifeCRchaser

The 5271 was working at Port Newark Yard about a month ago or so with the 5270. I had used the pair for a day. The 5270 looks like someone punched it in the nose, but I did not notice anything different on the 5271. The 5271 disappeared from Port Newark about a week later.

by Beech Cricker

No Life,

Is the 5271 still in CR blue?

If anyone has somewhat recent pix of this unit I'm interested!

by nolifeCRchaser

I believe it was. I took a few pics of the two engines, but the 5270 grabbed my attention more than the 5271. I will look for the pics and try to post one.