• The new C-420's are in....

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

by GOLDEN-ARM

For the Valley modeller, the new Atlas C-420's have arrived, with three numbers being available, for the Valley fans. Almost correct in every way, they are Dynamic Brake equipped in the Yellow-Jacket scheme. I find fault in the access door, located on the firemans side of the nose. A little filing, sanding and repainting, and they are a decent model. I got my dozen, did you?................ :-D

by CAR_FLOATER

Dozen? Boy, you are HARD CORE! ;^)

And no, I don't have 6 Walthers tugboats! (only 2)

CF
Happy in S. Plainfield with only 2 pre-war S-2's on order

by GOLDEN-ARM

CAR_FLOATER wrote: And no, I don't have 6 Walthers tugboats! (only 2)
Only 2, so far............. :wink: I had a brass tug, from OMI, or Hallmark, of a LV tug. It wasn't painted, and it wasn't a "waterline" model, so after enjoying it for a year or so, I sold it, without ever painting it. I took a hit on it, but at that time, I didn't know any better. This was late 80's, maybe early 90. %#@*&, if I only had it now........ :(

by CAR_FLOATER

Only two because unless Walthers re-releases the model, I refuse to pay $100 buck for a 35 dollar model that really didn't fit together all that well to begin with!
Oh, not to pick nits (but you know I HAVE to when tugboats are involved) but the brass model from Overland that you had was the Erie's Marion. While technically built by the same shipyard to the same design as the Wilkes-Barre class, there are subtile differences, that only a true connoisseur would notice! LOL! ; ^)
So, when do we get to see photos of the "great and mighty" roster? You have to be well along at this point, no?

CF

by GOLDEN-ARM

So I got scammed by Overland? I guess in the end, it's not a big deal. I myself would pay what the price was, for a decent waterline stand-in. I don't count rivets on locos, and wouldn't know where to begin on a tug, with a carfloat alongside, tied up at Cleremont.......... :wink:

by CAR_FLOATER

Even though this thread is slowly becoming about tugs and not 420's, at least it's still about the Valley............

The Walthers tug is still the best and probably will remain the ONLY model of a post war TAMS style tug, used by the LV, Erie, NH, NYD and BEDT

Despite the kit's shortcomings, it is a fine kit, and with a little work, it can be fixed to be a exquisite model (an article appeared in the RMIG Transfer how to do it)

The Powerful and the Slatington were the only two steam tugs to make it to the 1960's.

When the fleet is done, I will have the Cornell, the Capmoore (for Bronx service), the NH's Bumblebee, (all walthers kits) and at least an NYC tug, if not a Bush tug, too. There will be four floatbridges on the layout, so I'll need them!

CF

by GOLDEN-ARM

Of course, if you had a waterfront layout, and had a tug and carfloat at the waters edge, a critical shortage of power at National Docks could result in a lone C-420 being pulled from the Apollo, which is laying over at Oak Island, and it could be run to the float bridge, to work the last cut of cars...... :-D (back on topic now......)