• Unsafe platform design at Hazlet station?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by hsr_fan

The new high level platforms at Hazlet have a chain link barrier that would prevent someone from going underneath the platform in an emergency. I presume it's to keep trash from getting underneath the platform. With a fence between the two tracks, this would leave someone on the tracks nowhere to go in an emergency. I realize, of course, that nobody should be on the tracks, but just in case, wouldn't it be better to allow access to the space underneath the platform as a last second refuge?

by TAMR213

IIRC, Edison and New Brunswick are like this as well.

by ryanov

New Brunswick is not... Edison I don't think is either, but I could be wrong about that one (less time staring at the tracks waiting for a train ;))

by Ken W2KB

It may also be to prevent persons from taking up residence beneath the platforms.

by F40

And it also prevents people from hitching a free ride on the staircase of A3's.

by nick11a

F40 wrote:And it also prevents people from hitching a free ride on the staircase of A3's.
Didn't think of that. Be a tight squeeze not to mention dangerous.

by Jtgshu

there is a "railroad story" which means that it may or may not be true, that one morning rush hour, a guy was running late for his train at Red Bank and jumped on at the doorway of a closed end door of an A3, east of the mini high, probably at the Bridge Ave/monmouth st. xing. He held on at speeds of 80 mph, over the navesink river bridge, pass all the catenary poles, and singals etc, and made it ALMOST to Middletown. One thing was blocking him............ The new, at the time, high platform at Middletown.

They found his body a few days later under the platform......

by TR-00

The fences prevent the bodies from going under the platform, and make it easier for the coroner to find. That's right up there with the commuters who used to go under the train to get to the otherside at Matawan.

by TAMR213

I rmemeber seeing those photos. What Nuts!

by nick11a

Yeah, they're more nuts then me.

by Sean@Temple

I'd hate to be those people when an Acela goes by.

Sean@Temple