• Nokomis IL

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

by D1054

May be a long shot but can I ask if any one knows????

I will be over from the UK i n a few weeks time for a family hoilday in Chicago. We will be getting the train to Springfield and speanding a day in Nokomis IL.

I see from the map that there is a rail line running through the center of town (Nokomis) and wounder if any one knows what freight I may see here if any??

Many thanks from a very wet UK Mike

by CSX ENG

That's the Union Pacific (former C&EI) line from Chicago to St. Louis. The line is used, but I don't know the amount of trains..........

Here is a link to the State of Illinois railroad map.......
http://www.dot.state.il.us/officialrailmap.pdf

The town you are going to is in the middle of the state, just south of Taylorville. Hope this info helps!!!!

by CarterB

Actually, the line through Nokomis was the old New York Central (Big Four) Illinois Division route (Cleveland- St. Louis via Indianapolis). The C&EI (now UP) had trackage rights over it from Pana, Il to St. Louis. Reportedly the UP freight activity on this line these days via St. Louis to Chicago is extensive.

by D1054

Many thanks for the help guys,

I have printed a copy of the map off at work today (A1 size)

I will be over in just over 2 weeks time and if all goes to plan will visit Nokomis about a week after we get to Chicago

Upon my return I will post what I see

Many thanks again regards mike in the UK