• West End Lodging

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by riffian

Are there any motels/hotels/cottages on the West end overlooking or near the main line? Either New York or Massachsetts would be fine. Looking at a trip up that way next month. Thanks in advance.
  by cpf354

riffian wrote:Are there any motels/hotels/cottages on the West end overlooking or near the main line? Either New York or Massachsetts would be fine. Looking at a trip up that way next month. Thanks in advance.
Holiday Inn Berkshires in North Adams is the one that comes to mind. It's multi-story and near the railroad, so there may be rooms that have a good view.

by b&m 1566

Old Orchard Beach has a few hotels near the mainline if I remember correctly. I believe there's about 6 or so freights a day plus the 4 or 5 Amtrak Downeaster Trains a day.

by cpf354

b&m 1566 wrote:Old Orchard Beach has a few hotels near the mainline if I remember correctly. I believe there's about 6 or so freights a day plus the 4 or 5 Amtrak Downeaster Trains a day.
He wasn't asking about Maine, but the west end.

by b&m 1566

Yes, I saw that after I posted it. I can't remember what happened but I never actually finished reading the thread before I posted a comment. I remembered "lodging over looking main line" and that’s it. I tried to delete it but the internet was running to slow and took forever so I just kept it. What I was originally trying to post before I got distracted was the 3 other post can be deleted.

by riffian

Thanks gents for your recommendations. Sorry about the multiple posts....a combination of a very slow response on the site and my native impatience. Tried to delete but couldn't find a way to do it.

It looks like North Adams it is...

by B&MYoshi

You may have already decided, but nonetheless:

The Oxbow Resort Motel in Charlemont, MA worked pretty well. The rail line is directly across the river, so I'd recommend asking for a room facing towards that direction. There was some foliage cover, but shots there can still work.

http://www.oxbowresortmotel.com/

There are quite a few places to stay around there. When I stayed there, it was early October (peak season), so it was very difficult to find lodging. However, at this time you should have more choices.
  by jkrail

Giovanni"s Red Rose Motel
413-625-2666

The Oxbow Resort
413-625-6011

Both are nice, and do the job.