• NJ to VA without Amtrak

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

by radioboy

I'm hoping someone can help me out here. My girlfriend and I are trying to get to the Virginia Beach/Chesapeake/Norfolk area by rail. Unfortunately, $300 round trip per person is just a little out of our college student budget. Is there a series of connecting commuter rails we could take, perhaps starting with SEPTA in Philly and moving south?

by Ken V

There was a lot of discussion on this a while ago. You can refer to this thread: NEC by Commuter Rail alone.

by CHIP72

I don't like to suggest a purely non-rail option on railroad.net, but using Greyhound/Peter Pan and/or Carolina Trailways may be the most cost-friendly option. You could also use NJT/SEPTA between your NJ location and Wilmington and Greyhound/Carolina Trailways between Wilmington and Virginia Beach; Carolina Trailways has a route that runs down the Delmarva Peninsula. This latter option may actually be the best option. (I'm reasonably sure the Wilmington intercity bus terminal is co-located within the Wilmington train station.)

by radioboy

Thanks for the advice folks. Unfortunately Greyhound would be an 11 hour red eye, so no thanks.

I found some coupons online and managed to knock it down to 87/person round trip :)

by gprimr1

Unfortunately, SEPTA ends at Wilimington and MARC begins at Perryville. Also, VRE ends at Fredericksburg.

$300 round trip is a lot. How far in advance did you buy? Did you book peak trains on a sunday?

by radioboy

It was $300 round trip for 2 people. Still ridiculous IMHO. The 174 round trip is much more reasonable after using a coupon for a 50% companion fare.

by Ike

Too bad commuter trains no longer go down the Delmarva Peninsula. I'm originally from Salisbury and that would be a fun ride, as opposed to the stinky Greyhound/Trailways, but I doubt many people would use it. You'd think DelDot would at least run rush hour trains to Dover, though, to ease commuter traffic on the roads (while not getting stuck IN the traffic as buses do).

In terms of distance, going down Delmarva is a much more direct way to get from Wilmington to Virginia Beach/Norfolk, and by car, it avoids the horrible mess around D.C. But there's not nearly enough demand for a train that way. (I wonder if the Chinatown buses to Norfolk go that way? I tried to ask them once, but they didn't speak enough English to give me an answer.)

As I understand it, there used to be a train ferry from Cape Charles across to Virginia Beach/Norfolk, but that was probably about 50 years ago. And maybe that was always just for freight, not passengers (?).

by Irish Chieftain

The old thread is linked in the second post. All, please use it. Thanks…