• New Customer (Ayer Recycling Plant)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by atholrail

Seems Pan Am will be gaining a customer. Ayer Recycling Plant is currently being built. There is a track to the facility along with a runaround. All of which is not yet finished. Building is just behind Southern Container along side the Hill Yard.

Here are some photo's.

http://photos.nerail.org/show/?order=by ... =ATHOLRAIL

Billy.

by CN9634

Any other happen's at the Hill? Also do you have any more pictures?
Thanks!
Charles H

by atholrail

I do have some more shots of the trk. construction. I'll try to get them up soon. The Hill was really full today. 2 swithers working AY3/AYR. Looked like an SEAY train on trk. 3. Lots of Grain/Tanks/Pellet cars on trk 2-3. Other trks. full of ED or PO bound traffic. Billy.

by Skullitor

Way to go,Billy! Good job.

by NellsChoo

Those shots hit NErail before I got to post mine! Nuts! :wink:

The smell of those new ties is a shock in the area... but what a cool thing, a NEW rail customer in a part of the country where such things don't happen often.

Will the traffic come and go from Worcester, or via the Fitchburg? I'm curious about that. If the new auto facility happens, we will see autoracks again, which I miss.

Things may get interesting at Ayer! :-D

JD

by roberttosh

If the customer has any say, these cars - if they are being interchanged to CSXT - will go via Barbers. To make money in the C&D business, you have to turn your equipment, and it will be a lot faster going from Ayer right to Selkirk, vs going to Deerfield, then Rott Jct, then Selkirk.

by atholrail

Anybody been up this way lately? Construction finished? Switch put in place? Traffic coming/going from where? Traffic coming/going via ED or Worcester? I haven't been able to get out for along time now. Some help would be great. Billy.

by ShortlinesUSA

A few weeks ago, I rode through the area with a friend. The C&D facility is definitely taking shape, but not yet in operation. We were unable to see how the spur was coming along, or either didn't notice, but definitely not any traffic coming or going yet.

by NellsChoo

Yes, the place looks almost finished. But there are no doors in the huge openings in the building. I assume such a business would have to have doors, to keep dust and stuff out of the air. Maybe they are waiting on custom roll-up doors...
  by KEN PATRICK

is the new rail construction into the new c&d building accessed by guilford or csxt? if guilford, what does the connection look like to go from guilford to csxt? the google satellite images are not clear.
does csxt seay terminate alongside? is there a guilford ayed merhandise daily train?
i'm working a c&d pro-forma to ohio. the disposal choices seem to favor csxt but i'd like to know if guilford/ns is doable. a guilford switch to csxt versus a guilford/ns move might have serious cost differences. this is a market sensitive commodity. not the same as coal.
  by cpf354

KEN PATRICK wrote:is the new rail construction into the new c&d building accessed by guilford or csxt? if guilford, what does the connection look like to go from guilford to csxt? the google satellite images are not clear.
does csxt seay terminate alongside? is there a guilford ayed merhandise daily train?
i'm working a c&d pro-forma to ohio. the disposal choices seem to favor csxt but i'd like to know if guilford/ns is doable. a guilford switch to csxt versus a guilford/ns move might have serious cost differences. this is a market sensitive commodity. not the same as coal.
Its served by "Guilford" (Pan Am/Springfield Terminal), not CSX. I believe the spur runs off of Hill Yard track #11. Last report I read was that the facility was operational but hadn't started using rail. It takes awhile to get the volume up to justify car loads. There is one train a day each way to and from CSX via Worcester, and about three trains a day that pass by or stop at Ayer to and from East Deerfield.
  by KEN PATRICK

can anyone tell me what times csxt works hill yard to/from worcester. is it only ml?
same info on guilford to/from mohawk would be useful.
i need merchandise trains.
the equipment will either be hi cube gons or cofc depending on destination.
eventually 20 cars per day
there will be no doors. the height is to allow fully tipped roll-offs to exit without hitting anything. dust controlled by negative air and wet-down.
  by KEN PATRICK

guilford pricing makes it unlikely that cars can be originated at the plant. this will be an intermodal move. csxt industrial development is searching for a location. need 2-1000' with clear 100' alongside. suggestions welcome. need track that pose/sepo can set-off & pick up.
truck access critical at track. 4 20' containers per 89' . i'm guessing worcester branch is ok at 263k on 4 axles.
  by NV290

KEN PATRICK wrote:can anyone tell me what times csxt works hill yard to/from worcester. is it only ml?.
CSXT never comes to the hill yard. All CSX bound traffic as well as incoming traffic is handed off to Guilford crews in Worcester. Eastbounds (TO Ayer) at Burncoat Street, Westbounds (FROM Ayer) at New Bond Street.
KEN PATRICK wrote:same info on guilford to/from mohawk would be useful.
i need merchandise trains..
EDMO originates in East Deerfield but has not set on duty time due to lack of power, crews and/or poor management.

EDRJ frequently has cars for Mohawk as well. But the main CSX interchange west of Deerfield is Rotterdam Jct, not Mohawk.
  by NV290

KEN PATRICK wrote: need track that pose/sepo can set-off & pick up.
truck access critical at track.
SEPO and POSE vanished months ago. If your talking about interchanging cars orignating on Guilford with CSXT in Worcester, then you want AYSE/SEAY.

As for the track capacity for the axle loads your talking about, it's hard to say. The last tie job on the Worcester main line was over 20 years ago. All but two miles of it is restricted to 10mph. On average, it's taking 12 hours for a crew to take SEAY from Worcester to Ayer and then gather cars and test them for the return to Worcester via AYSE. Then a second crew will take it down to Worcester (Again, this is usually the case, but not always). That is an embarrising turn around for a train that only has to travel less then 30 miles each way. Track upgrades should be done regardless.