• When did VRE buy 8700 Metra series cabs??

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by traintrak5000

Just two -- V459 and V460.

They have had their horns, bells and lights removed; they only operate as coaches.

by davinp

So that's why they don't operate them as cab cars. I though with the rear windows and stripes painted down that it was a cab car.

It's not fair that Chicago gets to enjoy new equipment, which includes locomtives, while VRE suffers with old equipment.

by octr202

davinp wrote:So that's why they don't operate them as cab cars. I though with the rear windows and stripes painted down that it was a cab car.

It's not fair that Chicago gets to enjoy new equipment, which includes locomtives, while VRE suffers with old equipment.
Well, when VRE starts having the kind of A) Ridership and B) Funding that Metra has, then you might see more new equipment. Like most all commuter railroads, its a struggle to get what you can.

VRE did get a batch of very nice looking Kawasaki bilevels, complete with 2-2 seating. The similar MBTA Kawasakis have very cramped and uncomfortable 3-2 seating, and those are the nice cars! On the line that I ride, the cars probably are older and in worse shape than the Mafesera cars that VRE is getting rid of.

Metra also has plenty of old equipment as well -- the original Highliners on the Electric District don't even have restrooms, and aren't exactly very youthful at this point, either.

by davinp

They also have V461 according to this picture:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=244505

VRE says it would be too expensive to restore the locomotive controls, so they are just used as passenger cars. Besides, they have 11 new cab cars.

by Wanderer

octr202 wrote:Well, when VRE starts having the kind of A) Ridership and B) Funding that Metra has, then you might see more new equipment. Like most all commuter railroads, its a struggle to get what you can.
Metra also has the advantage of incentives from the railroads they operate on, but do not own, as well as needing limited crews. Keep in mind...on lines like the BNSF and UP-W...it's METX gear, but BNSF and UP crews paid by their own respective roads. For all intensive purposes, in situations like BNSF it is a BNSF, not a Metra train.

by traintrak5000

davinp wrote:They also have V461 according to this picture:
I think the picture is mislabled. I'm pretty sure V460 is the highest-numbered of the older gallery cars.

by davinp

traintrak5000 wrote:
davinp wrote:They also have V461 according to this picture:
I think the picture is mislabled. I'm pretty sure V460 is the highest-numbered of the older gallery cars.
On VRE's website the highest number showing is V460, so the other one is probably V459