• Strates Circus Train Status in New York

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by BSOR Patarak

The train is expected at Broadway shortly after 11:00. Many of the Strates Drivers are working at Chemung County Fair today, so no unloading will take place. The BSOR will simply pull the train to Hamburg and stage the coaches and flats so they can begin unloading first thing tomorrow.

by joshuahouse

Yes, the train no longer comes to Elmira when the carnival is there. Its a bit disapointing but it is a very good fair in its own right.
  by Matt Langworthy

I saw the circus trains come to Elmira back in the late days of EL, so it's a pity they don't stop there any more.

by SimTrains

Caught the Buffalo Southern pulling the first section of flat cars, and all the coaches pulling across Lake Ave. this afternoon around noon. They brought the rest of the the flats to Hamburg around 4. No unloading happened today, as I understand most of the cabs and or crew are still at the last show. I got a ton of great shots, here are a few....

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

http://community.webshots.com/myphotos? ... ity=bsiyuI

by SimTrains

Well the fair came to an end yesterday here in Hamburg, and the state fair begins this thursday. I have to work late tonight so I can't get out to Hamburg to see how things are moving along. Anybody been out there today?

by scharnhorst

when is the train suposted to make its move tuesday? or Wensday? Things are slowed to about 25 mph threw a 5 mile work zone in Weesport/Jordon area. Benn there the past 2 days watching them rip out ties starting some place near Port Byron work stoped near Bonta Bridge Road on Sunday and started up on Monday 6:30a.m. crews was near or passed rt 31 in Jordon by days end 3:00p.m. Train traffic was vary heavy!

by SimTrains

The train was delivered to CSX this morning at 3am, so they are there, and probably unloaded by now.

by scharnhorst

darnit I should have stayed out track side later must have missed by a few hours. Oh well guess theres always next year.
  by SimTrains

It must be summer, because were starting to see the James E. Strates shows passing through our state. Some of you may know already, but I am now working out of Selkirk. I went home for the weekend, and got back just in time to miss the strates shows heading south out of Selkirk. There next show is the Orange County Fair in Middletown, New York. Here is there schedule off of there website...

July 18 - July 29 Orange County Fair - Middletown, New York

July 31 - August 5 Chemung County Fair - Elmira, New York

August 8 - Aug. 1st Erie County Fair - Hamburg, New York

August 23 - Sept. 3rd New York State Fair - Syracuse, New York

I just got off the phone with some of my hardcore fair train followers, and they thought the train may not even go to Middletown, or Elmira but the train is heading south out of Selkirk as we speak, so I guess it must be.

If anybody catches sight, or has any news to report please post it!! Thanks!!

Check out my shots from last year of the train in Hamburg...
http://rides.webshots.com/album/552766718bsiyuI

:-D
Last edited by SimTrains on Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by ericware

This train actually came up the Bergen County Main Line at about 7:15 tonight, it must have came down the River Line and then got on the main line or Bergen Line near croxton some how ??? It went past Suffern around then.

by BSOR Patarak

The train should come right from the Orange County Fair to Hamburg. They usually truck in most of the stuff for Elmira. We expect them sometime between July 30th and August 2nd.

Pat Connors
Buffalo Southern RR

by Maybrook fan

I was gonna post this last night and forgot, and now someone beat me to it :-)

They just got done doing a month in Danbury Ct. Housatonic pulled them out yesterday (mon). Housatonic takes them up to CSX in Pitsfield Mass. I wondered how they were going to route them and now I know.

Anyone know where in Middletown they are going to park them ? The two places I've seen them is Danbury and the NY Fair in Syracuse. There they have tracks they can sit on within sight of the carnival. I know the Middletown Fairgrounds quite well from attending the races. But the only RR tracks I'm aware of is the line going to Port Jarvis. And from what I understand that line is used by NJT/MTA so I assume they probally can't even unload there.

Anyone with more detailed info, I'm very "currious".

by cjvrr

From posts in some Yahoo Groups it was brought up to Campbell Hall last night.

Train will supposedly be unloaded in Maybrook. Seems kind of far from Middletown to me but......

by Otto Vondrak

I have a report that the train is in Maybrook now...

-otto-
  by K4Pacific

It's been years since the Strates train (James E. Strates hometown was Elmira) stopped in Elmira. Rides were parked in the Elmira lower yard. passenger/employee cars were parked on the old PRR Elmira Branch near Grand central Plaza which was an easy walk down to the fairgrounds for employees.

The last three years since Strates returned to Elmira after a long absence, rides were trucked to the Chemung County Fairgrounds from Endicott.

But now since Strates is not there, I'm trying to find out if it will switch Elmira. GM Yard doesn't know yet. And I just got my Chemung County Fair buy fromt he Ag Marketing Director and she doesn't know except rides will be in place by Tuesday Evening July 31.

If anyone knows different Otto, please advise.