• R3 to Trenton

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by cpontani

NJT West Trenton branch won't be electrified, so that's a problem. Septa's Silverliners don't have bathrooms, so anything from PHL to NYP if it were ever to happen should be with NJT's equipment.

But here's an interesting idea. Many people on this forum have talked about PHL/Bucks County to NYC direct service. How about NJT puts in a limited stop train from NY Penn down to Trenton, down the Morrisville cutoff (assuming they electrify those three miles of track), and down the R3 via the Center City Tunnel and back up the R7 and back to NY Penn? Then the next one could take the R7 via Center City and back up the R3/Morrisville and back up the NEC to NY. Alternate between the two every how many minutes (60, 30, 20, whatever), and voila...a quick service that serves a bunch more people with direct service to New York...not as fast as Amtrak, but faster than the locals. Hmmm...

by ChrisinAbington

Very interesting ideas above.. What kind of business do the rest of the stations cut off get though? Also, wouldn't this bring service further away from Newtown?

Here's another idea. Why not add a stop to the NJ end of the R3 to connect the West Trenton Station with the Mercer County Airport? Its about 2 miles further up the tracks, and I believe the ROW goes right alongside the airport (although probably not too close to the terminal).

I've never flown out of there, but I hear that it does get a reasonable bit of business.. I've always thought it a bit strange where the R3 ended, although it is within walking distance of NJ Manufacturers.

by cpontani

Chris, not sure if you meant my post or not, but just to clarify, my pie-in-the-sky-never-gonna-happen idea would be to run through NJT trains looping through Philly in addition to the R3 and R7, not replace them.

Trenton Mercer airport has a great location and potential as an overflow airport for EWR and PHL, and could have a a quick and convenient shuttle bus connection to the rail, but it's something that won't be necessary nor won't be built for decades until the New York/Philadelphia megaopolis stretches out and fills in and builds up the outlying counties.

by dreese_us

There is one advantage to running service from the NEC down the West Trenton line. It would create a market for Septa or NJ Transit by making it more convenient for riders to travel to North Jersey/NYP. One of the main arguments against restoring the Newtown Line is the opinion of many that commuters in Bucks and Montgomery Counties are traveling to New York for work, not Philadelphia. So lets make it easier for people to commute. Don't make people drive to NJ, when they can drive a short distance to a local train station.
  by Jim in S.E. Pa.

Removing service from stations is not acceptable whatsoever. Creating duplicate service that will take longer to get to Philly is unreasonable. Besides, Trenton's NEC station doesn't have the capacity.

(THE ABOVE IS A QUOTE FROM IRISH-)

If your talking about Clinton ave, I agree. But I would think the Hamilton complex would have the capacity...
  by jb9152

Jim in S.E. Pa. wrote:Removing service from stations is not acceptable whatsoever. Creating duplicate service that will take longer to get to Philly is unreasonable. Besides, Trenton's NEC station doesn't have the capacity.

(THE ABOVE IS A QUOTE FROM IRISH-)

If your talking about Clinton ave, I agree. But I would think the Hamilton complex would have the capacity...
Really? Where would you turn trains? On the main? Hamilton is a through station, with no turnback capability. There isn't even an interlocking there.

Maybe I'm mistaking what you meant by "Hamilton complex".

by drewh

How about NJT puts in a limited stop train from NY Penn down to Trenton, down the Morrisville cutoff (assuming they electrify those three miles of track), and down the R3 via the Center City Tunnel and back up the R7 and back to NY Penn?
Nice idea, but a couple of problems. I don't think NJT is authorized to run a 3 state operation (i.e. from PA-NJ-NYC). Also why should NJ subsidize a ride for PA commuters to NYC? I doubt PA would ever come up with enough money to actually fund a service. The state couldn't even fund a new station in Falls Twshp, Bucks Cty for NJT service from the new NJT storage facility.

If we didn't have multiple jurisdictions to deal with then this might already be a reality. Look at what California has been able to do with rail services for example.
  by Jim in S.E. Pa.

Re: the ref to Hamilton station. I was refering to the Hamilton Township Metro Complex... I've never been over there, but what i can gather from the aireal photos on Local.Live.Com. theres no sign of any interlocking. So, so much for that idea. You would think when planning a large complex such as Hamilton, someone may have thought of that.
  by jb9152

Jim in S.E. Pa. wrote:Re: the ref to Hamilton station. I was refering to the Hamilton Township Metro Complex... I've never been over there, but what i can gather from the aireal photos on Local.Live.Com. theres no sign of any interlocking. So, so much for that idea. You would think when planning a large complex such as Hamilton, someone may have thought of that.
No need for one. All NJT services stop at Trenton, Hamilton, and Princeton Junction, and Amtrak services stop at either Trenton and Princeton Junction, or one of the pair. So, there is no need to have an interlocking at Hamilton. Now, a reinstated NASSAU at Princeton Junction, that would be a good thing!

by matthewsaggie

Question from someone down south- I'll be visiting in NJ in August. Along with a week at LBI, want to get some train riding in. What public transport is available between Trenton and West Trenton stations? Is there a NJT bus route?

by chuchubob

drewh wrote: Also why should NJ subsidize a ride for PA commuters to NYC?
To get their cars off our roads.

by drewh

Sorry, I still dont want to have my taxes to go up to support services in other states. Best way to get their cars off our roads would be to raise the bridge tolls. Perhaps use that additional toll money to support a service - that I would support. But I would be totally against any commuter service for PA that is supported with my tax dollars.
What public transport is available between Trenton and West Trenton stations? Is there a NJT bus route?
Infrequent service with route 608. Route 607 at Upper Ferry Rd is a little less than 1/2 mile walk as well.

by astoriaalex

/\ Neither is as convenient as the 609 over by the Library for the Blind. Take the 609 to either the Library or to the corner of Stuyvestant&Lower Ferry and then turn left on Lower Ferry and the Right at the next stop light. You'll see the station along the way.

by astoriaalex

The poster above is right. NJT is not going to pour money into anything for PA residents. It's SEPTA that could use the passengers for this new service. Here's how I would go about it.

-Build a New station along the Morrisville line where I-95 meets Rt 1. Direct traffic from Both onto the new station. This will serve as a massive park and ride facility for Central Bucks commuters.

-R3 trains serve Langhorne, Current Woodbourne station (Which also will have massive park&ride facilites, the new I-95 stop, and then into Trenton.

Run both services hourly, with additional trains on both R7 and R3 during rush hours and weekends. Maybe even late night service.

by cpontani

Nice idea. One probable issue would be letting Septa run through NS's Morrisville intermodal ramp.