• Photo spots along I-70

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

by gravelyfan

Hi,

I will be driving west on I-70 and am making a list of potential stopping off points where there is a decent chance of seeing (and photographing) a train in perhaps a one-hour or so stop.

A few that seem likely would be Terre Haute, Effingham, St. Elmo and Mitchell.

As I don't have all day to cross Illinois, I will likely pick only one or two of these places to stop off in.

I would welcome any suggestions based on more local knowledge, particularly train volumes on the intersecting lines.

I posted a similar request on the Indiana board.

Thanks in advance.
  by tsched

I would definitely stop at Effingham. Not sure of the frequency but the location is good and having a scanner might help. CSX (Conrail, PRR) and CN (Illinois Central) intersect right outside the Amtrak station. Would be easy photography.