• tunnel motors

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by engrrufus

How can you tell if an engine is equiped with tunnel motors, and could you show me pictures of what the difference is? Thanks

by conrail_engineer

"Tunnel motor" referrs to the locomotive itself - not the traction motors.

I don't know if GE ever built locomotives specially equipped for tunnel/snowshed duty. But EMD did a series of jobs for SP and DRGW...instead of having the radiator air intake higher up on the rear panels, the cooling grates were LOW on the rear; the radiators mounted horizontally halfway up in the compartment.

Instead of sucking hot exhaust air through the high-up air grates as happened with conventional EMDs, these units would take cooler, cleaner air lower down, and thus not overheat in tunnels.

Best tipoff at a distance, is that the tunnel motors didn't have the EMD characteristic Vee-formation on the rear of the carbody. Instead, it had a flat rear surface, reminiscent of old GEs.

Don't recall the specific models made into tunnel motors....I believe they were SD-45Ts.

by charlie6017

I may be wrong, but I think SD40-T's were also built in addition to the 45's.

by SSW9389

Charlie you are on target. There were 559 tunnel motor locomotives built by GM-EMD between 1972 and 1980. These locomotives originally went to three railroads: The Southern Pacific 163 SD45T-2 and 229 SD40T-2, The Cotton Belt 84 SD45T-2 and 10 SD40T-2, and The Denver & Rio Grande Western 73 SD40T-2. The Wikipedia is a good place to find some general information on the subject. :wink: