• WMATA Metrorail TRIP REPORT 6/17 with a twist at the end

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by Love Train

Back to normal is the way to describe today's Metro adventures. Today I took the Red Line from my home stop Grosvenor-Strathmore to Union Station to drop off my grandmother (visiting from New York, came on Friday) and then came back.

This trip was quite nice. We bought our passes and headed down to the platform. We had just missed a train and it was HOT so I was very annoyed. Luckily, we only had to wait 4 minutes for the next train. It was a 6 car train, destined for Glenmont, not crowded, and all six cars were 4000 series original Bredas. This was interesting because while there are many 4000 series original Breda cars on the Red Line, they rarely make up a whole train; they are usually intermixed with other cars. I was in original Breda #4090, the front car.

Unlike the ride last Friday to pick up my grandmother, this ride was FAST. This was definitely one of the quickest trips between Grosvenor-Strathmore and Union Station I've ever been on. We got some nice speed between Bethesda and Friendship Heights, but my train HAULED @$$ on that same stretch coming back home (more about that later). We actually got some decent speed taking the curves between Tenleytown and Van Ness, which almost never happens.

My grandmother and I had lunch at Au Bon Pain. I had a DEE-LICIOUS Thai chicken wrap, while my grandmother had a boring chicken caesar wrap. Then, I dropped my grandmother off at her gate. I was in tears when I said goodbye to her as I love my grandmother very much but as she gets older she becomes less able to visit. That's why I cherish every time I get to see her. I know its only a matter of time before she passes away, so I know I need to cherish every moment I spend with her.

Anyway, I don't want to turn this into an emotional tearfest, so I'll just continue on about my trip.

I headed back down into the station and saw on the PIMS screen on the mezzanine that a Shady Grove bound train was going to arrive in one minute. I ran down the stairs to the platform just as the train was arriving. This train was also six cars and not crowded. This train was a mixed consist of Breda Rehabs and CAFs. The first two and last two cars were Breda Rehabs and the middle two cars were CAFs. I was in rehabilitated Breda #3186, the front car.

Now let's talk about SPEED. And when I talk about speed, I'm talking about this train ride back home from Union Station on Sunday June 17, 2007. GOD-D*** did my train move! Especially on the home stretch (from Tenleytown to Grosvenor-Strathmore). And between Friendship Heights and Bethesda, we went so fast I thought for a second that the train was being hijacked. We had to have broken 70, and then some. Easily. This train was moving at a degree of speed like I've never experienced before.

I got off at Grosvenor, and here's where the twist happens. As I'm walking down the platform to the exit (I had to walk the full length of the platform because I was in the front car), another Shady Grove bound train came in. It was departing the station when I noticed that the last car of the train was original Breda #4090. This train was the same train that I had taken going downtown!

When everything was all said and done, I had a nice trip and was glad that normalcy had returned to the Red Line. THE END

P.S. During the trip, I saw only two original Breda 3000 series pairs. Pretty soon they will all be rehabbed.

P.S. Another car type that has been close to nonexistant the last few weeks on the Red Line is the CAF cars. I swear, there are about as many CAFs on the Red Line as 3000 series original Bredas. I've noticed this today, Friday, and all the times I watch trains go by from the Starbucks on Rockville Pike.

by Robert Paniagua

Well, remember, WMATA trains are not MBTA slow trains, they can do up to 79.9 in some portions, in fact back in 1980, a Rohr 1K (the only car class on the road back then) was logged doing 79.9 mph going towards Stadium-Armory station from the west on the Blue Line traveling eastward.

by Sand Box John

"Robert Paniagua"
Well, remember, WMATA trains are not MBTA slow trains, they can do up to 79.9 in some portions, in fact back in 1980, a Rohr 1K (the only car class on the road back then) was logged doing 79.9 mph going towards Stadium-Armory station from the west on the Blue Line traveling eastward.

During the early 1990s I spent a great deal of time discussing rail transit on USNET at misc.transport.urban-transit. There were many testimonies there that claimed they had ridden aboard train at speeds in the mid 80 MPH range. I myself have never ridden abroad a revenue train that exceeded 74 MPH. I did however get the opportunity ride aboard a fully loaded 2 car train back in winter of 1975 that did 81 MPH as it passed the B99 40 signal on the inbound track adjacent to Brentwood Yard. The train operator had to bring the train to a halt shortly after passing the signal as there was no power in the third rail on the tracks south of the New York Avenue overpass.

by WMATAGMOAGH

Supposedly Wayne Whitehorne rode a train on the Blue Line doing 79 MPH near D&G Junction.

Love Train, it sounds like your outbound trip was in manual. If you are in the lead car, it isn't hard to determine if the train is in manual operation or not. Considering the speed limit between Friendship Heights and Shady Grove is 75 MPH most of the way, it is quite possible the train exceeded 70 MPH.

by Love Train

Are trains in manual more likely to go faster than automatic? Im guessing the answer is yes.

by Sand Box John

"Love Train"
Are trains in manual more likely to go faster than automatic? Im guessing the answer is yes.

It really depends on what performance setting central control has set the regulated speed at. If regulated is the same as limited speed then your ride will likely be close to the limit. If regulated speed is something less then the limited speed then you will go no faster then the regulated speed.

by PRR Trackman

Hey Love Train, justa a FYI, serious track work will begin on July 1, 2007 and go to the middle of August...7 days a week...

Over 1000 ties will be replaced. 2200' of rail and 420' of track panels...

This work will be between Grosvenor and Medical Center portal...

by Love Train

Well, I'll be gone, so doesn't bother me!