• "Hidden" Alcos stored in Lake Yard, Portland, OR

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

by GOLDEN-ARM

Last time I ran the Vancouver Hauler, from Albany Or., to Vancouver, I was held at Lake Yard, Portland. The yard was fairly clear, and while half-dozing, I turned to talk to the Cndr, and there they were. Up against a building, at the very southern edge of the yard, was a pair of gray Alco switchers, looking like S-4's, from my vantage point of about 1/4 mile away. Couldn't see the trucks, though. They are behind a giant warehouse, which abuts SR 30, and it's behind a tall fence that makes seeing it unlikely, from anywhere other than inside Lake Yard, which is itself behind a fence, as well. Perhaps GN599 knows more about them. He must get into Lake Yard at some point in his travels........ :-D I get held at 2.2 sometimes, but there's not much hope, of crossing through the entire yard, to go see them up close.

by GN 599

I've seen them too. They have been there since I first worked out of Vancouver in 2001. I believe they are the old PTRR (Portland Terminal) switchers. Not 100% though.

by N. Todd

These are two ex-Portland Terminal S-2s, have been stored since the mid-80s.
One is serv. Behind the Lacey Harmer facility. Owned by NRHS.

by GN 599

Yeah I thought they belonged to the NHRS. I think I read about them in their equipment roster on the website.