• Loring Air Force Base

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

by Dcell

Was there rail service to the former Loring Air Force Base? If so, does rail service the former base, now a huge industrial park?

by shadyjay

This would be Bangor & Aroostook/Montreal Maine & Atlantic territory. Ask in that forum for a better answer.

Last time I was up there (c 2002), I saw a spur into the base, but it looked inactive.

by Noel Weaver

I rode the BAR line from Caribou to Limestone on a fantrip in the mid
1980's. We had a single F unit which they turned on an armstrong
turntable at Limestone and did the entire line at 10 MPH. The line was
still more or less in use at the time but the freight train did not run very
often.
Noel Weaver

by roberttosh

The base used to receive slugs of Coal cars for their bolier - simething like 300 cars per year.

by Realityrail

the track to the base is washed out and in need of major repairs. The base does have a pristine snow plow out in the open. MMA sure could use that at times.

Does anyone know what is in the engine house, if anything?

by livesteamer

Just spent the last couple of days in Limestone and did a bit of driving around the old air force base. Track is still in place on the installation and the rail lines do lead back into Limestone. But, it does appear that track is in bad shape. Several public grade crossing have been paved over by the Town of Limestone and I think the nearest active line would be in Caribou.