• missile tofc

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by ljeppson

Yesterday, June 7, 2007, I saw on a southbound freight waiting to enter SLC North Yard, an Air Force missile trailer on flat car. I haven't seen such in many years. Anyone else see this?
  by Ocala Mike

Probably moving from HAFB in Ogden, right? Wasn't there once (or maybe still is), a plan to deploy long-range ICBM's on rail cars for their "mobility" aspect?
  by Burner

Ocala Mike wrote:Probably moving from HAFB in Ogden, right? Wasn't there once (or maybe still is), a plan to deploy long-range ICBM's on rail cars for their "mobility" aspect?

i think they disbanded those.... They looked like a big boxcar

by ljeppson

The Air Force used to deploy minuteman missiles via TOFC. That is what this looked like. I was a little startled. Back in the 60's when I was in the Air Force Reserves, minutemen missiles were deployed from Hill AFB, accompanied by a caboose with troops in them (caller Operation Birdwatch); no caboose was in evidence this time, but the "missile' or whatever it was, was right behind the units.
  by ljeppson

While we're talking about missiles, how many have heard about the NRHS Promontory Chapter's mishap with its car the "Warrior River." Thiokol (which makes the solid rocket boosters for the space shuttle) uses this car, with NRHS personnel on board, to accompany the booster train to Cape Canaveral. NASA has had a re-route in place since Katrina, sending the train over the Meridian and Bigbee. The last train in question was lead by three big UP units, followed by the Warrior River and the booster cars. On the M&B a trestle collapsed under the units. All of the booster cars remained upright, but the units and the Warrior River tipped over. The club is still uncertain to what degree the Warrior River is salvageable.