• 2302 crosses route 17 at rush hour...

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by uhaul

This is it why it is hard to make Route 17 it into I-86

by umtrr-author

uhaul wrote:This is it why it is hard to make Route 17 it into I-86
Somewhat off topic but the photo was taken in Lodi, NJ. I don't think there are any plans to turn any of New Jersey Route 17 into I-86.

High Iron, thanks for the picture! I wonder if the resulting traffic jam made it into any radio reports...

by GOLDEN-ARM

Not sure what Rt. 86 has to do with this post. Keep it relevant please, Terry........... :(

by uhaul

I know at grade crossing with New York State Route 17 were a problem at first. Now the road has been elavated in places and work is being done to make it a true Interstate.

by High Iron Photography

umtrr-author wrote:
uhaul wrote:This is it why it is hard to make Route 17 it into I-86
Somewhat off topic but the photo was taken in Lodi, NJ. I don't think there are any plans to turn any of New Jersey Route 17 into I-86.

High Iron, thanks for the picture! I wonder if the resulting traffic jam made it into any radio reports...
Well, yea, that would be one reason. Another reason would be the insane amount of businesses located along the entire route in nj and improper exit/entrance ramps and lane setup.

Thanks for the comments guys, I'd like to try this shot again somehow with a long telephoto lens!

by Steve F45

Nice shot steve. I cought them about this time last year when they were still putting down ballast. 3040 was shoving about 14 ballast cars across 17 around 9am. It was amazing how many people didn't stop even when the first ballast car was clearing the essex street exit ramp.

by alewifebp

Good to see some action here. It has been quite a long time since we have heard anything on the Lodi Branch, and in the Lodi Branch thread, there was some wondering whether they were still servicing anyone. Crazy thing is they need to go through busy Route 17 North (which is seen here) and South, with little in the way of grade crossing signals. I'm sure most drivers assume that these tracks are inactive.

And for those that don't know this area, the tracks on the Lodi Branch are some of the worst I have seen. They need to crawl through or risk derailment. About two or so years ago they did derail a car by Essex Street.

by Steve F45

in my gallery on rrpicturearchives.net i have a shot with the conductor hanging onto the rear of a ballast car, it shows the tracks and how bad it is.

by Idiot Railfan

It's actually to the advantage of the railroad to cross busy highways during rush hour. I remember the conductor of the train that served the Totowa industrial area telling me that when they had to cross Route 46 to get to the Passaic Valley Water Commision treatment plant, it was a lot easier at 4 p.m. when the traffic was already slow or stopped than at the middle of the night when it was hard to get the attention of people streaking by at 60 mph.

by GOLDEN-ARM

Those runs across 46, with a chlorine car, for the treatment plant at Totowa, were always exciting, but not from the traffic. I always considered it a miracle, if we made the run to the end of the line, and back, without going on the ground. Rt. 46 was another "blow & go", with crew inside the loco, car shoved over the crossing, with the horn wailing. Never got hit at that crossing, but did cause a few rear-enders........ :P