• Hot Box Detectors

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by nick11a

Mark Schweber wrote:I hate to ask people questions and seem stupid so I always check the web first if at all possible (or pretend that i know what they mean)!
Good to know. So next time when I talk about the Eisenberg Compensator on the Arrow IIIs or the Corbimite Couplers on the Comet IIMs, you'll know exactly what I mean. Finally, someone who understands me. :wink:

by F40

I think my questions are legitimate ones and they are not meant to annoy anyone.

by nick11a

F40 wrote:I think my questions are legitimate ones and they are not meant to annoy anyone.
Oh don't worry. You don't annoy me. You just caught Irish at a bad time. We all have those times- myself included. Feel free to PM me though for any question at all and I will anser it if I can.

by JLo

Just remember, there is no harm asking questions if one genuinely does not know. Thomas Edison was labeled stupid by a teacher because he asked too many questions. I think he turned out okay.

by n01jd1

Well, you know it isnt going to come from NJTPD budget. Remember they gotta hassle those nasty photographers!!! I guess its byotp, that is if you can handle the stench from the toilets!! Thats why they are called Vomit Comets!!!

JLo wrote:I just want to know what part of NJT's budget got cut to pay for this. I predict that there will be no toilet paper on the RVL for the next six months. :wink:
  by Mark Schweber

From the Star Ledger:
NJ Transit plans fix for hot train wheels

Agency to speed up repairs costing $600,000

Friday, July 30, 2004
BY JOE MALINCONICO
Star-Ledger Staff

Alarmed after crews detected an overheated wheel on a train earlier this month, NJ Transit has decided to replace equipment on 300 of its Comet passenger cars by the end of the year.

Officials believe the flaw that caused the excessive temperature on a wheel this month might be linked to the problem that caused a wheel to overheat and fall off a Main Line train in mid-June just after it dropped off its last load of passengers.
http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/jersey/in ... 954520.xml

by ryanov

Irish Chieftain wrote:Hey, Google's been a good friend to me; lots of stuff I was ignorant about that I found out on there (excepting the "Miserable Failure" bomb which hasn't yet been defused; one search engine that doesn't fall for it is Teoma, BTW)...
I agree. You can usually find the answer much more quickly by just searching. In fact, Google is how I found this forum initially anyway -- searched something I was looking for and lo and behold, the answer awaited.

And I happen to think Google's pretty smart for "falling" for that one. ;)

by nick11a

ryanov wrote:In fact, Google is how I found this forum initially anyway -- searched something I was looking for and lo and behold, the answer awaited.
Me too.

by GandyDancer

Veering wildly back on topic for just a moment...

Just how effective are the trackside detectors in catching overheating on inboard bearings? It would seem that they would need to be placed in the trackbed looking upwards to get a clear shot at the bearing. Side-scanning might only catch a serious overheat, which would likely be too late to prevent serious damage.

by nick11a

GandyDancer wrote:Veering wildly back on topic for just a moment...

Just how effective are the trackside detectors in catching overheating on inboard bearings? It would seem that they would need to be placed in the trackbed looking upwards to get a clear shot at the bearing. Side-scanning might only catch a serious overheat, which would likely be too late to prevent serious damage.
Well, I can't directly answer your question- because I don't know. But, I can give you an example. Last summer, about a week after the infamous derailment at Secaucus, there was an Arrow NEC train that set off a hotbox alarm around Edison IIRC. When they stopped the trains to check it out, they found a wheel that was so hot that they couldn't use their templestick to check it out. Needless to say, this hotbox prevented another derailment of the same type. Following that, ALL Arrow IIIs were immediately removed from service as they figured out what the problem was so they could check out and inspect all the MUs. I believe a decent amount of them had the same problem. Luckily, the 48-hour round the clock inspection occured on a weekend so it didn't seriously affect service. All I know is that it was very enjoyable for me. We had diesels, ALPs and Comets on the Gladstone (inlcuding the 9 car Gladstone Midtown train working on a Hoboken train with two cars open) and on the NEC, they used all push pulls. So, here is one example of a successful hotbox story.

by GandyDancer

nick11a wrote:

Well, I can't directly answer your question- because I don't know.
Whaddya mean, you don't know? You're a Guru! :D

by nick11a

GandyDancer wrote:
nick11a wrote:

Well, I can't directly answer your question- because I don't know.
Whaddya mean, you don't know? You're a Guru! :D
Well, I kinda do know- but don't know for sure. But, yes, they are effective IMO.

I'm reminded from your last statement of William Shatner's classic line from Star Trek V (the really bad one where he meets god):

"Don't you know? Aren't you god?" :D