Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by modorney

What is the longest subway train?

Both in terms of number of cars and feet.

Most cars have an upper limit based on the coupler strength. Although each car has power, reducing the stress on the coupler, it is possible for one powered car to tow many unpowered (dead third rail, etc.) cars. Or a shop locomotive (diesel) could pull an unpowered train.

I'm not sure, but I think the longest platforms are on the 7 line? I have heard they can take a 14 car train? That would put them about 700 feet?

by SubaruWRX

hmm I think you may be right about the 7 line.

by pennsy

Hi All,

Cheating, possibly, but in the dead of winter, in the late 60's, the IND in the Rockaways ran up to 20 car trains. This was to ensure that the train made it back to Euclid Ave. underground. The lead car actually had whisk brooms attached to the lead truck to clear snow off the rails, and the extreme length of the train was used to ensure that at least some cars received power from the third rail so they could continue on. Only the first few cars, three or so, would open their doors for passengers. The other cars were closed, lights turned off, etc. All they did was pass on the power to the cars that had lost contact with the third rail due to the ice and snow on the third rail.

by jtunnel

The number seven runs the "longest" trains in terms of car numbers.

7 trains are 11 cars long. But remember they are A Division/IRT cars, so are still shorter overall then a full 10 car B division(BMT/IND) train.

There are some longer platforms, but the majority of B Division platforms can only handle 10 cars. On the A division, Shea Stadium has some long platforms and can recall back to back relay trains after a Met game, but he second train was not entirely in the station.

by protrain

In normal operation, there are trains varying from 2 cars (S-Franklin Avenue) to 11 cars (#7).

In the A division (IRT), virtually all trains have 10 51' cars, for a 510' train. With 11 cars, the #7 is 561'.

In the B division (IND/BMT), almost all trains are either 10 60' cars or 8 75' cars, both adding up to 600'. 600' is the max train length that is operated in service. However, the J/Z, M, L, and C trains all operate 8 60' cars for a total train length of 480' (less than IRT trains). On the other hand, many IND platforms are somewhat longer (for example, all 4 platforms at West 4th Street at 660' or longer).

by pennsy

Yo Protrain,

It must be borne in mind that the IND was the last subway system to be built in NYC and therefore had the newest of everything on its stations. And, that includes extra long stations. However, it still was weird to see the extra cars of winter hanging off the station platform, and only the doors of the first few cars open. Those unaccustomed to the practice during wintertime, with snow and ice on the station etc. had to run from the middle of the platform to the lead three cars. The Conductor occasionally would yell, "Take it easy, we will wait for you." He didn't want anyone to slip and fall. That was another interesting job; the caretakers of the station had to clean the platforms of snow, and sand the ice, before the passengers arrived. Tough days in those times.

by SubaruWRX

pennsy wrote:The Conductor occasionally would yell, "Take it easy, we will wait for you."
In NYC? amazing! :wink:

by pennsy

Yo Subaru,

You are propagating a misconception. New Yorkers are really not like that. Don't think of a typical New Yorker as someone in mid town Manhattan that acts the way you have stereotyped all New Yorkers. Yes in the other four boroughs they are quite human and NORMAL It is in Manhattan that you fine tourists and the such and they are the intolerant ones, generally. I still maintain close relationships with people that still live in the metropolitan NY area, and these people are the salt of the Earth.

by SubaruWRX

pennsy wrote:Yo Subaru,

You are propagating a misconception. New Yorkers are really not like that. Don't think of a typical New Yorker as someone in mid town Manhattan that acts the way you have stereotyped all New Yorkers. Yes in the other four boroughs they are quite human and NORMAL It is in Manhattan that you fine tourists and the such and they are the intolerant ones, generally. I still maintain close relationships with people that still live in the metropolitan NY area, and these people are the salt of the Earth.

haha I know I had a great time out on Long Island

by protrain

That is a good point about the IND. Also, unlike many IRT or even BMT stations, most IND stations have (or at least were built with) multiple entrances at either end, extending the reach of the stations, and thereby having stations futher apart (for example, the IND 8th Avenue line has stations at 14th, 23rd, and 34th while the IRT 7th Avenue line has additional stations at 18th and 28th). Overall the scale of the IND is larger, which in part explains the larger platforms. Many of the IND stations have MASSIVE mezzanines (many of which are partially closed off) - even the local stations (like the Queens Blvd line).

by pennsy

Hi,

You just reminded me about those Mezzanines. Great echo for sound effects.I remember coming home and climbing the stairs to the Mezzanine and hearing singing. Yup, the Rock and Roll days, and there you had quartets and quintets of fellas practicing. They sounded pretty good, as I remember.And it was really safe. I actually joined in and sang with them for awhile. Talk about good old days and fond memories.